Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Brien - Beast Mode Activated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

La Roux wasn't set on the ball and only really ended up lying on then holding on to the two underneath as he got cleared.

Great strength but he was effectively just lifting and driving the body weight of the three players rather than clearing out player(s) actively competing or protecting ball.

It was a massive target to clear (all of the side of La Roux's torso) and a leg to hook for leverage too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Morf wrote: »
    just lifting and driving the body weight of the three players

Yeah you're right, nothing impressive at all :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's like flipping pancakes. Speaking of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

La Roux wasn't set on the ball and only really ended up lying on then holding on to the two underneath as he got cleared.

Great strength but he was effectively just lifting and driving the body weight of the three players rather than clearing out player(s) actively competing or protecting ball.

It was a massive target to clear (all of the side of La Roux's torso) and a leg to hook for leverage too.

Spot on. He's standing sideways so it was easy enough get a good grab of him.

Did this really warrant its own thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Do some people think SOB is not as good as the general consensus concludes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭typhoony

laugh wrote: »
    Do some people think SOB is not as good as the general consensus concludes?

i'm on the fence here but I do think we need to see hm playing regularily over the next 3 months to judge whether the SOB of old is fully back

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Would Pete Carroll have given the ball to SOB?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wouldn't have been time, SOB would have stripped the ball off him while he was still adjusting his headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

But that IS what clearing out is. Rucking isn't just about poaching ball. Any coach will tell you if the opposition get 1 or more players to the breakdown BEFORE any of your players the ruck is lost. When that ball bobbled out and Murray got gobbled up like that and the French swarmed it most people would concede that as a lost ball. The fact SOB got there and cleared out 3 players, one of them already anchored, is an incredibly feat regardless of whether or not Le Roux has his hands on the ball. A less stronger man would've struggled and all Le Roux would've had to do is change his direction and walk past the ball, the weight of the players would've shoved the Irish player back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Add to those facts that it was retreating ball, i.e. that he had to run back, turn a corner and hit with no momentum, and it was even more impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

He was also doing it completely from a standing start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

No. would have taken Sexton off and brought on Keatley to "control the game"

I think Dusatoir does a double take - "what just happened?"

.ak wrote: »
    But that IS what clearing out is. Rucking isn't just about poaching ball. Any coach will tell you if the opposition get 1 or more players to the breakdown BEFORE any of your players the ruck is lost. When that ball bobbled out and Murray got gobbled up like that and the French swarmed it most people would concede that as a lost ball. The fact SOB got there and cleared out 3 players, one of them already anchored, is an incredibly feat regardless of whether or not Le Roux has his hands on the ball. A less stronger man would've struggled and all Le Roux would've had to do is change his direction and walk past the ball, the weight of the players would've shoved the Irish player back.

Ah now.

It wasn't a case of SOB was stronger than the 3 French lads put together. The last guy in was standing at the back looking...he wasn't doing anything.

SOB lifted the guy that was standing at 90 degrees to him. (Easy to grab the player by the leg and lift him and the combined weight of the french player and SOB knocked the other french player away.

Are you telling me Healy or Best or O Mahony wouldn't have been able to do what SOB did?

I found McGraths steal in the first couple of minutes despite 2 french players rucking much more beast mode than SOB.

SOBs looked better.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Are you telling me Healy or Best or O Mahony wouldn't have been able to do what SOB did?

Yes. Healy could but the other two don't possess the explosive power to shift that mass from a standing start. He shifted a couple hundred kilograms from a standing start. It was an incredibly accurate and powerful clear out.

Henderson is the only other current Irish player that I could see doing that with POC potentially there too but I'd doubt it.

Ah now.

It wasn't a case of SOB was stronger than the 3 French lads put together. The last guy in was standing at the back looking...he wasn't doing anything.

SOB lifted the guy that was standing at 90 degrees to him. (Easy to grab the player by the leg and lift him and the combined weight of the french player and SOB knocked the other french player away.

I found McGraths steal in the first couple of minutes despite 2 french players rucking much more beast mode than SOB.

SOBs looked better.

I didn't say it was a case of SOB being stronger, where did I say that?

The issue is he has to lift and drive the weight backwards. If you've tried to shift one person off a ruck you'll know how hard it is. Yes, Le Roux is in crap position to start off with, but he does the clever thing and binds onto another french player. When that happens it can be next to impossible to shift because instead of just shifting 100kg you're now trying to shift ~200kg.

No I definitely don't think POM or Best would be able to do that with such efficiency. I'd have my doubts over Healy who just specializes in blowing people out rather than shifting furniture.

I agree with the McGrath comment though, thought that was immense.

Buer wrote: »
    Yes. Healy could but the other two don't possess the explosive power to shift that mass from a standing start. He shifted a couple hundred kilograms from a standing start. It was an incredibly accurate and powerful clear out.

Henderson is the only other current Irish player that I could see doing that with POC potentially there too.

Do you think SOB would have cleared them all out if the french players legs were on his side of the ruck and his head was closest to SOB?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No. would have taken Sexton off and brought on Keatley to "control the game"

I think SOB vs Marshawn Lynch should be our new ROG/Sexton debate.

Do you think SOB would have cleared them all out if the french players legs were on his side of the ruck and his head was closest to SOB?

What's that got to do with anything? People are just admiring the feat of strength for what it was, not for what it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

But it wasn't? :confused:

• Advertisement

I think SOB vs Marshawn Lynch should be our new ROG/Sexton debate.

:pac: O'Brien. No debate.

...or what about Schmidt v Belichick !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

What if it was a sumo wrestler, seated, with his back to the ruck, a can of dutch gold in one hand and a prawn sandwich in the other?

dub_skav wrote: »
    What if it was a sumo wrestler, seated, with his back to the ruck, a can of dutch gold in one hand and a prawn sandwich in the other?

Sounds like a sound lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Everybody is ignoring the fact that he also kept two of those three players out of action for the rest of the ruck, and kept them on the ground for a few seconds after the ball had moved to our backs. Whatever about the initial action, this (riding the lines of legality) play was more vital imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

dub_skav wrote: »
    DAD...!!?! :eek:

Advertisement