Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW rt help

Options
  • 15-02-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

While changing the pads in my rt 1200 08 my sons friend pulled the front brake lever , and pushed out the pistons . I refitted them and also topped up the brake fluid, but now the abs light is on full time , do I need to go to a BMW dealer to rectify this or can this be done by a quick fix ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Roadcraft

Did you bleed the brakes or just top up the brake fluid?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lone hunter

Thanks for the reply , I bled the brakes and also topped up

Did you have the front wheel off or did you just remove the calipers?
    Check the ABS sensor air gap.

Thanks again , I checked space and it is 2.7 mm , I looked on Internet and it says max 1.7 mm , have I put this together wrong ? I didn't remove the sensor when installing the pads, if you wouldn't mind sending me your email address and I can forward picture of the wheel , many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

2.7mm is too wide. But I don't think the R12 sensor position is adjustable. Previous models have a number of shims under the sensor.
    Did you remove the wheel during the work? Did you measure the gap at different wheel positions?

There is an easy DIY reset procedure for ABS faults. Also check lever isn't fouled by handguards. But the gap needs to be investigated.

• Advertisement

Hi TWG, yes I did remove the wheel, and you are right there is no shims under it and I did check at several positions , no fouling of hand guards either. where would I find the DIY reset procedure?, I wonder if I put it all back together correctly , I have printed an exploded view of it and I will check later to see if I put the stop discs and wave washers in the correct places. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I'm only familiar with the prodedure on earlier models. Yours has CAN-bus so that's probably a complication. I can only suggest a web search.

One other thing is to ensure the battery is fully charged. Low voltage can trigger an ABS fault but this is one that should disappear once battery is fully charged and bike restarted.

EDIT:
    This info seems relevant

I just went home to look at the wheel , I think I may have put the brake disc on opposite to what I took it off , measuring both sides with the washers on the inside is approx. .8mm thinner than the other side , I am going to reverse this tonight to see if my problem is rectified, thanks for the help , I will let you know how I get on . I would hate to bring it to BMW for such a small fix.

Tried everything still has fault , I'd say it's off to bmw , sometime this week thanks anyway

Tried everything still has fault , I'd say it's off to bmw , sometime this week thanks anyway

Are your brakes working ok, no spongy feeling at the lever?
    Where are you located?

Maybe you could borrow a GS911 diagnostic tool & read & reset any fault codes in your ECU, may reset you ABS warning light.

Otherwise you may have got some air into the ABS unit and it will require further bleeding, you can then preform a brake bleed test with the GS911. it will operate the ABS unit & remove any air in the system.

• Advertisement

Brakes are spongy, but working , I'm located in Waterford and I don't know anyone with a GS911

Brakes are spongy, but working , I'm located in Waterford and I don't know anyone with a GS911

I have one & I am in Wexford if you want a loan of it.

Advertisement