Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of home alarm? Please advice me to choose.

Options
  • 15-02-2015 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

I am planning to install a home alarm system (Pre-Wired for installing alarms) in my house. I have broadband at home. I dont require 24 hr alarm monitoring.

I (and 2 other people) would like to receive text / email messages when some one breaks in to the system. Also I would like to get notifications when someone tampers / activates / de-activates the alarm system. Dont know whether this is possible!

Needs motion detectors to be placed in 2/3 places in the house.

1. My first doubt is whether to go for wired or wireless alarm option. The home is already wired. Any issues with wireless option?

2. What equipment should I go for. I have seen my houses nearby sounding alarm in heavy wind / low battery etc. Would like to avoid that.

3. I would like to install a high intensity light outside my house which would lit automatically when a motion is detected. I have seen it in lidl / aldi earlier, but cant find it now!

4. Any companies that you would suggest. Needs good post installation service if required.

Any help highly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

ITguru wrote: »
    I am planning to install a home alarm system (Pre-Wired for installing alarms) in my house. I have broadband at home. I dont require 24 hr alarm monitoring.

I (and 2 other people) would like to receive text / email messages when some one breaks in to the system. Also I would like to get notifications when someone tampers / activates / de-activates the alarm system. Dont know whether this is possible!

Needs motion detectors to be placed in 2/3 places in the house.

1. My first doubt is whether to go for wired or wireless alarm option. The home is already wired. Any issues with wireless option?

2. What equipment should I go for. I have seen my houses nearby sounding alarm in heavy wind / low battery etc. Would like to avoid that.

3. I would like to install a high intensity light outside my house which would lit automatically when a motion is detected. I have seen it in lidl / aldi earlier, but cant find it now!

4. Any companies that you would suggest. Needs good post installation service if required.

Any help highly appreciated

Perimeter protection is always the best option. If you premises is wired for an alarm then that would be the way to go. A hybrid system will also give you the option to add wire free sensors if needs be. Motion sensors light can be added to be triggered off most system upon activation of an alarm system. GSM, GPRS, WIFI or LAN connections can be used to monitor an alarm system.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most good systems now are hybrid, use wired where you can & wireless for anything extra.
    That would be more down to poor installation or faulty devices rather than the equipment.
    There are literally 100s of option for this. If it fits your budget I would recommend good LED units.
    We don't post recommendation for installers on thread.
    Check out the PSA register of licenced installers find at least 3 company's local to you & get detailed quotations & system design proposals from each. Do not accept a final quote without a site survey its a requirement of the PSA licencing and it prevents nasty extras later.

If you have a broadband connection, equipment wise , I would recommend Siemens GSD or Risco All these systems could connect to your broadband giving you free notifications & free remote access to your system via free apps.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Do not accept a final quote without a site survey its a requirement of the PSA licencing and it prevents nasty extras later.

That is not correct in all cases.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd still recommend insisting on it.

I'd still recommend insisting on it.

So its not, thanks for the clarification.

• Advertisement

:confused::confused:

:confused::confused:

You OK there?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭TestLink

Thanks guys
    Check out the PSA register of licenced installers find at least 3 company's local to you & get detailed quotations & system design proposals from each. Do not accept a final quote without a site survey its a requirement of the PSA licencing and it prevents nasty extras later.

This is an interesting new info for me. I have got quotes from 1 company for around 850 euro by email without asking any questions to me.

Is Eircom phone watch available without monitoring?

Could any one give me a ball park figure on how much it would cost to alarm a small house? I think I would need to secure

2 Doors
    6 windows
    2 motion sensors
    email/text notification

If you contact the psa they will give you all the information and advice you need.
    Email and quotes over the phone should be a guide only and should be verified by a site visit so as to avoid nasty surprises later.
    AFAIK Phonewatch is not available without monitoring contract.
    An average price on what you listed would be €800-€1000

Thanks guys

This is an interesting new info for me. I have got quotes from 1 company for around 850 euro by email without asking any questions to me.

Is Eircom phone watch available without monitoring?

Could any one give me a ball park figure on how much it would cost to alarm a small house? I think I would need to secure

2 Doors
    6 windows
    2 motion sensors
    email/text notification

If the system is pre wired for these components then it is a little on the high side.
    P.W. will not install a system if you do not have the system monitored by them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

we got something similar in the Parents place last year,

It was a gsm Package with text alert to 2 - 3 numbers, wireless contacts on 14 windows with remote panic keyfobs etc.

if you pm me i can send you the company name, he was based in Dublin I think, very nice fellow.

RTighe

ITguru, I was averaging price on wireless. Is this what you were requiring?

ITguru, I was averaging price on wireless. Is this what you were requiring?

My house is prewired for alarms. So I prefer wired systems. So could you give me an average pricing for this?

Would batteries be an issue with wireless systems.

For wired take a couple of hundred off that.
    Battery's are generally lasting around 3 years. We advise replacing them all at the same time to prevent replacements getting staggered.

My house is prewired for alarms. So I prefer wired systems. So could you give me an average pricing for this?

Would batteries be an issue with wireless systems.

Most system out there today are hybrid systems so you can have wired and wire free devices. Better to have this available in case of issues with any cables down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 marge2006

I know you don't like discussing prices but can someone give me an idea of the cost of replacing the batteries in the wireless sensors per sensor every 3 years as I can't find any info on this.

marge2006 wrote: »
    I know you don't like discussing prices but can someone give me an idea of the cost of replacing the batteries in the wireless sensors per sensor every 3 years as I can't find any info on this.

Prices can vary for replacement batteries.
    Generally €5 - €10 depending on supplier.
    I would find out how many you need and the type of system you have installed then contact local installers for prices.

I got the following quote from a company. I was asking for GE or Siemens. But they only do HKC

Brand: HKC

9 sensors + 1 wired motion detector = 550
    1 wireless motion detector = 40
    1 GSM module = 140

Is the above quote ok?

What about the make HKC - Are they good?

I got the following quote from a company. I was asking for GE or Siemens. But they only do HKC

Brand: HKC

9 sensors + 1 wired motion detector = 550
    1 wireless motion detector = 40
    1 GSM module = 140

Is the above quote ok?

What about the make HKC - Are they good?

For wired that price is OK. When buying anything I'm personally very wary of the one trick pony's. Most experienced and professional installers would be able to quote for the system the customer wants.
    There is nothing wrong with HKC. Its as reliable as any other and conforms to EN50131 etc.
    If you want to use this system with apps for remote control and monitoring however beware, HKC systems will only work with apps if there is an annual subscription paid. The current rate is €60 per annum and €7.99 per app. Other manufacturers give this for free.

I was told that 80% of the house alarm market share goes to HKC. Is this true?

• Advertisement

I doubt it.
    I have never seen any figures to back it up.
    Find any estate with 100 houses. I doubt 80 of them would have HKC bell boxes. (Ohh and don't count the Phone Watch bell boxes they don't use HKC)

I was told that 80% of the house alarm market share goes to HKC. Is this true?

I would say they have most of the market out there. GE use to be popular but has since declined in sales. They would of had the bigger share of the market many years ago. Astec was also popular when in business.

Advertisement