Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Italian Red (no blockbusters)

Options
  • 15-02-2015 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a nice Italian Red, in the 5-15 euro bracket.

Usually with reds, I usually prefer light-to-medium body, not too heavy... under 14% alcohol.
    I would steer towards Bordeaux wines with a healthy Merlot content, Pinot Noir\Burgdundies, Cotes du Rhones, Riojas, Australian Cabernet-Shiraz blends.

Not a big fan of Malbec, Cabernet Sauvignon varietals, Châteauneuf-du-Pape type reds, or 15% 'blockbusters'.

I've tried some of the starter Italian reds in LIDL and ALDI and looking to see what else is out there, but Italian wines labels seem to be trying to win the 'most complex' award as far as I can tell.

More for drinking with food (lamb or lasagne perhaps), than on its own.

If you're recommending a wine, brand name and stockist and rough price would be helpful... Thanks in advance.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Got a few bottles of this in Lidl last year:

http://winicjatywa.pl/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Lidl-Barolo-2008.jpg

Fantastic.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Barolo is a great wine but it's not a light one. Look for a Barbera or even lighter, a Dolcetto.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

you can get some deals at local Spar sometimes, like half price... I recently bought a "Passori" for 9.99 which was incredible, normally I prefer Spanish wines for their value, but this one was excellent and sensibly priced.

I don't like the cheap Italian wines in Lidl, I would stay clear of them...

"Valpolicella Superiore" would be another good choice, many brands out there but I cannot recommend a particular one at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭robnet77

you can get some deals at local Spar sometimes, like half price... I recently bought a "Passori" for 9.99 which was incredible, normally I prefer Spanish wines for their value, but this one was excellent and sensibly priced.

I don't like the cheap Italian wines in Lidl, I would stay clear of them...

"Valpolicella Superiore" would be another good choice, many brands out there but I cannot recommend a particular one at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭anewme

robnet77 wrote: »

The Aldi exquisite collection Valpolicella is excellent. Its about 9.99 and can be quite hard to get as it is often sold out. Would recommend.

Agree re Barolo is very heavy.

If you like light reds, also try a Fleurie (French)

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/drinks/wine-cellar/the-exquisite-collection/the-exquisite-collection-products-detail-page/ps/p/valpolicella-ripasso/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

I've enjoyed any Nero d'avola that I have drank

Advertisement