Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back pain forcing me to quit

Options
  • 15-02-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been working in a general assistant position for a facilities management/catering company for over a year now, there is a lot of manual handling and about 3 months into the job I hurt my back. I took a weeks holiday, put plenty of ice and rest etc. and took it a little bit easier (which is hard because there is a lot to do as we are very short staffed). eventually I hurt it again, I went to a chiropractor who told me he'll fix me, I'll go back and hurt it and be back with him again, I went to a gp and he gave me anti inflammatories, which helped but now the pain is getting to much and I had to take more time off to try heal. A few people in work are telling me I should just refuse to do my job and ask to be put something else, but my manager is telling me that we're short staffed and I'm leaving them in the lurch by taking holidays and they're going to be really stuck while I'm off. I feel liek I have no choice to leave but with the job market being what it is I dont think I'll get another job anytime soon, I guess this post is mostly venting but I'm wondering do I have any rights to refuse doing my job now as its wrecking my back.

TL;DR, I've a bad back from work and I'm wondering if I can make them give me something else to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

badBackGuy wrote: »
    I've been working in a general assistant position for a facilities management/catering company for over a year now, there is a lot of manual handling and about 3 months into the job I hurt my back. I took a weeks holiday, put plenty of ice and rest etc. and took it a little bit easier (which is hard because there is a lot to do as we are very short staffed). eventually I hurt it again, I went to a chiropractor who told me he'll fix me, I'll go back and hurt it and be back with him again, I went to a gp and he gave me anti inflammatories, which helped but now the pain is getting to much and I had to take more time off to try heal. A few people in work are telling me I should just refuse to do my job and ask to be put something else, but my manager is telling me that we're short staffed and I'm leaving them in the lurch by taking holidays and they're going to be really stuck while I'm off. I feel liek I have no choice to leave but with the job market being what it is I dont think I'll get another job anytime soon, I guess this post is mostly venting but I'm wondering do I have any rights to refuse doing my job now as its wrecking my back.

TL;DR, I've a bad back from work and I'm wondering if I can make them give me something else to do.

If your job description is such that the lifting is an inherent part of it then the company may not have done anything wrong and may not be required to give you a desk job if there isn't one available. Do you feel that your problem was caused by negligence on their part or is it just that you can no longer do the job you were employed to do?

If you are repeatedly off work and unable to do the job you were employed to do, they can dismiss you on but they would have to follow proper procedure. Also if you are employed for less than a year, it would be easier but not easy for them to dismiss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

This is one of the things you pay your stamps for. No sense in breaking your back. Explain the situation to your boss, go to your doctor and get yourself better

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭iMac_Hunt

Does your employer have risk assessments for all the manual handling tasks you're undertaking? Have you been trained in manual handling?
    This is definitely a health and safety issue. If the job is repetitive, requires awkward posture and/or force, the risk assessment should identify this and certain control measures should be implemented to prevent musculoskeletal disorders. The control measures could be mechanical aids, job rotation etc.
    It is suggested now that with back injury, you should continue to work and not rest up as resting can make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

badBackGuy wrote: »
    I feel liek I have no choice to leave but with the job market being what it is I dont think I'll get another job anytime soon, I guess this post is mostly venting but I'm wondering do I have any rights to refuse doing my job now as its wrecking my back.
    Either leave the job now, and get your back sorted, and be out of work for a bit, or keep working to the point where you'll be unable to work for the rest of your life, and not be able to do much else cos you f**ked up your back.

Also, have you done a manual handling course? I've seen a lot of people get back backs from not lifting stuff correctly (ie; with their backs, and not with their knees).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Ask your doctor to give you a referral to a clinic for an MRI scan. That will show the true extent of the injury. I know from experience that going to chiropractors will only keep you going week to week. You need to find the root of the problem and fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

davo10 wrote: »
    If your job description is such that the lifting is an inherent part of it then the company may not have done anything wrong and may not be required to give you a desk job if there isn't one available. Do you feel that your problem was caused by negligence on their part or is it just that you can no longer do the job you were employed to do?

If you are repeatedly off work and unable to do the job you were employed to do, they can dismiss you on but they would have to follow proper procedure. Also if you are employed for less than a year, it would be easier but not easy for them to dismiss you.

My job title is general assistant, meaning I can slot into any position in the company (to a certain extent). Theres no case of negligence on their part, it's just from lifting, pushing and pulling every day. As for being dismissed, theres zero chance of that happening as they are so short for staff and because it's minimum wage it takes forever to fill vacancies (it took nearly 2 months to replace 2 staff that left last year)

iMac_Hunt wrote: »
    Does your employer have risk assessments for all the manual handling tasks you're undertaking? Have you been trained in manual handling?
    This is definitely a health and safety issue. If the job is repetitive, requires awkward posture and/or force, the risk assessment should identify this and certain control measures should be implemented to prevent musculoskeletal disorders. The control measures could be mechanical aids, job rotation etc.
    It is suggested now that with back injury, you should continue to work and not rest up as resting can make it worse.

No theres no time for risk assessments, everyone is constantly up to their eyes, like I said we're extremely short staffed. I received short video and demonstration on manual handling during my induction, but thats it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd highly recommend seeing a physiotherapist over a chiropractor in this case. While I'm sure some chiropractors are very good, in many cases they are only treating your immediate symptoms. Physios are much better diagnosing and treating the underlying problems, and should be able to give you a much better understanding about your work situation and if you require further medical treatment.

Advertisement