Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding work in Cork as a student

Options
  • 15-02-2015 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I am an 18 year old student living in Cork, with experience working in hotels and shops, as well as running my own online business.

I am finding it incredibly frustrating and hard to find work in Cork. Last year, I went around the city centre handing in well-written and detailed CV's to the businesses around the city. I was really hoping I would get something, even something minor, but nothing.

I am still studying, so cannot commit to anything full-time. Could this be the issue? I am looking for a job, anywhere in Cork really, that I can do in the evenings or at weekends. I have even recently applied to volunteer in a new charity store to get some more experience on my CV.

Anyone in a similar situation or have any advice for me? It can get very frustrating when not one person calls you back after going out and putting yourself out there at so many places!

Thanks,
    Sam

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Bar work ??

Theres plenty of people out there that can't find full time jobs , I wouldn't get disheartened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

weekend part time work seems to be becoming harder to find. A lot of shops have cut down on full timers and hiring part timers to cover. Unfortunately that cover seems to always include availability on weekdays, leaving students at a disadvantage. Head in to a quiet bar some night and ask the manager if you could do a few hours for free to learn the ropes and start from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Am I the only person curious as to the online business? At 18. Have I got old that fast that this is jotted down in a post as something on a par with working in a shop or hotel?

Advertisement