Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifesavers - when to do 'em?

Options
  • 15-02-2015 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

Should be getting my test date in a few weeks so I'm trying to tidy up my riding a bit and watch the bad habits.
    I'm still a bit confused about when to do the lifesaver look;
    - changing lanes - yep, that's obvious
    - turning off left or right where you're not stopping - again grand

So I suppose it's junctions with a Stop/traffic light and at roundabouts.

If you divide the lane into positions 1 2 3;
    Say you're coming to a T-junction and taking a left at the stop sign, should you do the lifesaver before you move to position 1 and then stop?
    Or come to a stop in position 1, then move off and lifesaver and turn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I got docked a mark during the U turn because I didnt do a life saver mid U turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Do them every time you are changing direction. Pulling away from stationary, changing lanes, turning. Basically anytime there is a potential for someone to be in your blind spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I got docked a mark during the U turn because I didnt do a life saver mid U turn.

Good point, I'd forgot about them.
    Way I was taught was mirror, indicate, lifesaver, move off, life saver, turn. That's right isn't it?
    Then do you indicate left and lifesaver again after you've turned to pull in and stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

lifesaver just prior to your road change maneuver

coming up to your stop signed t-junction:
    traveling along in your normal road position
    decide you want to turn left up ahead
    mirror
    indicate
    lifesaver
    maneuver to lefthandside of the lane (well over to the left)
    stop at stopsign

once in this position, nothing can come up your inside, so can get away without doing another lifesaver when there is room to complete your turn

most important thing to note about the lifesaver, is that its absolutely useless if you dont do it in a timely manner - such that if there is actually something there, you've left yourself enough time to act

You see a lot of new folks doing lifesavers, and have pretty much committed to their turn by the time their nose has passed their 2 or 10 o'clock. Whats the point in looking if you're going to turn into it either way?
    Knowing your own reaction time, will give you a good idea how far back you need to be doing your lifesavers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭prunudo

Do them every time you are changing direction. Pulling away from stationary, changing lanes, turning. Basically anytime there is a potential for someone to be in your blind spot.

Have always done this on the bike and before that from driving vans.
    Did my artic test last year and was docked marks because I looked over my shoulder to check the right hand blind spot. I explained my reason and he said 'but you're taking your eye off the road in front'. No wonder cars don't see us if blindspot checks aren't being thought across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

jvan wrote: »
    Did my artic test last year and was docked marks because I looked over my shoulder to check the right hand blind spot. I explained my reason and he said 'but you're taking your eye off the road in front'. No wonder cars don't see us if blindspot checks aren't being thought across the board.

Jesus Christ that's frightening :eek:

Advertisement