Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broombridge area of Cabra

• 15-02-2015 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I am looking to buy a property with my partner (we are a gay couple - late twenties/early thirties) and we have quite a limited budget. We have been looking at Broombridge and Cabra in general. It seems like a reasonably settled area but everyone we talk to speaks of anti-social behaviour, especially around the Broombridge rail station. I have read a few posts and note that there have been problems but I wonder if there are people on here who know the area and might be able to give a view. The rail station is part of the attraction for us as it is a good way or commuting to the City Centre. When we visited the area recently we noticed that there have been a couple of groups of young lads hanging around which might put some people off but we can see past that. Essentially, I suppose we are wondering if it is a nice place to live and are there safety/security concerns in the area. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mearbhall wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking to buy a property with my partner (we are a gay couple - late twenties/early thirties) and we have quite a limited budget. We have been looking at Broombridge and Cabra in general. It seems like a reasonably settled area but everyone we talk to speaks of anti-social behaviour, especially around the Broombridge rail station. I have read a few posts and note that there have been problems but I wonder if there are people on here who know the area and might be able to give a view. The rail station is part of the attraction for us as it is a good way or commuting to the City Centre. When we visited the area recently we noticed that there have been a couple of groups of young lads hanging around which might put some people off but we can see past that. Essentially, I suppose we are wondering if it is a nice place to live and are there safety/security concerns in the area. Thanks.

The train station building was destroyed by youths who set it in fire with a staff member inside and most of it ended up in the canal. That might tell you something.

I'd rent forever before I'd buy near Broombridge

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mearbhall

Thanks for that, I hadn't heard that and that would be concerning but I am wondering if there are ongoing problems or if they are historic. When you look around the area it looks like many others. Most of the homes are well maintained (there is the odd exception) and there are plans to bring the Luas to Broombridge in the not too distant future...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Am pretty sure I have read here, that the walk to/from the station is not one you'd want to be doing after dark. Can't remember if it was in the Dublin forum or the Commuting & Transport one, but it was definitely on this site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I live in Cabra - not too far from Broombridge. We bought a house here about 10 years ago. No significant trouble.

Some roads are better than others - I wouldn't want to name names here but op - feel free to message me if you want to.

I have never been afraid to walk at night here. I have never heard of anyone being attacked in all my years here.

Its a typical working class area so I wouln't expect anything too posh but it as quiet here as it was when we were living in Stoneybatter 10 years ago. There on Oxmanstown road there could be gangs of youths gathered outside shops/ chippers but no significant trouble -just like here in Cabra West!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

If you can stretch the budget a bit, I'd suggest looking a bit further up the train line in Ashtown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Had a friend living in Broombridge and there was always trouble around the station. Not with him personally, he put his hood up head down and walked on and didn't draw attention to himself but I can't imagine that's a place I'd choose to settle down permanently! Yes it's painting the whole area with the one brush which is unfair because I know some very nice people from the area. But I'd go with what someone above advised - maybe move up the train line a bit - or rent in the area first if you find it okay go for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭LeBash

The train station gets wrecked every now and again. Im working in the Industrial station behind it and live just outside of Cabra.

I walk to and from work most days. Sometimes leave a as late as 11pm and never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Not from the area but I always found it strange the lack of people that get on and off the train at Broombridge. Station always very quiet and doesn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stinjy wrote: »
    Had a friend living in Broombridge and there was always trouble around the station. Not with him personally, he put his hood up head down and walked on and didn't draw attention to himself but I can't imagine that's a place I'd choose to settle down permanently! Yes it's painting the whole area with the one brush which is unfair because I know some very nice people from the area. But I'd go with what someone above advised - maybe move up the train line a bit - or rent in the area first if you find it okay go for it !

I think that this is the best piece of advice yet.

Everyone has different comfort levels when it come to dealing with the issues and challenges that living in an area like Boombridge present. Some people are freaked out by them, others are able to just shrug them off. Renting there first lets you decide where your comfort levels are, without making the massive commitment of buying.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. Honestly, I didn't expect to get the number of replies that I did. The feedback has been helpful, especially from those of you who are familiar with the area (working and living there)
    Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 No bias or BS

Cabra as an area is fine especially in price terms at the moment also, ive lived here for decades with no problems, the train station gets wrecked as its an easy access spot to drink etc at especially when a slap on the wrist is all you,ll get these days in ireland in general, but!! that station will vastly improve with all the works going on up there at the moment, float about the whole are etc. and snap one up while the going is so good here, if couples and families dont then landlords will because rental potential was already high up here, now with grangegorman etc its practically 100% guaranteed.

Ps as for the low,ish level of train use. the reason is also simple, you have to be coming from around the line/areas it passes through that make it worth while, connolly st, pearse street etc etc. from town a bus is much handier and also drumcondra etc but both of those are also a low taxi fare, a simple walk or effortless cycle. but when that luas to st stephens green goes up that will get well used by city commuters mainly and students to grangegorman etc.

Thank you for that. We have since bought in the area and we are very happy with the decision and look forward to many happy years there. Thanks

Good for you,s

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It'll certainly be in for an improvement hopefully once the Luas goes there. I think it's a brilliant area for redevelopment being inside the canal and so close to the city centre.

Yeah theres loads of great things about the area aswell as how much of an excellent hub it is to the city and out of it. my work sometimes depends on exactly that so i love it. there are pllllenty of other ares in dublin with higher prices that are no better to live than here. but with overhyped location (label snobbery etc) landlords and estate agents are loving this mind set.

Advertisement