Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need quick help from a trinity student

Options
  • 14-02-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys,

I'm creating a timetable application as part of a university project.

This involves researching what systems other universities are using.

I'm interesting in seeing what your personal timetable looks like.

Could someone provide me a screenshot of their timetable screen (I believe its on my.tcd.ie ?).

Thanks for the help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

MaxDecMer wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm creating a timetable application as part of a university project.

This involves researching what systems other universities are using.

I'm interesting in seeing what your personal timetable looks like.

Could someone provide me a screenshot of their mytcd.ie timetable screen.

Thanks for the help!

we have a timetable on mytcd.ie???????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

You get a personal timetable on mytcd.ie, but these are also given out to people

https://www.scss.tcd.ie/undergraduate/timetables/Year2_ICS_1415.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MaxDecMer

Could anyone help with this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

MaxDecMer wrote: »
    Could anyone help with this ?

the man already posted a PDF. Some subjects don't really get one - my one for example is a mess, unusable really. the departments send us timetables instead (not that they're any better)

I'm looking for a screenshot of the my.tcd.ie personal timetable. Even its a mess or only shows one module, just to get an idea of the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Here's mine. Disclaimer: this timetable makes no sense, nobody in my course could possibly use it and I have no idea who would bother even putting anything like it online.

Thanks for that neurotic. It seems some people agree with you on that. Out of interest, do you think that the grid layout further complicates the table. Would it be easier to read if it was in a listed layout, perhaps similar to the pdf posted by SureYWouldntYa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Here's mine. Disclaimer: this timetable makes no sense, nobody in my course could possibly use it and I have no idea who would bother even putting anything like it online.

A tad random but I'm curious as to why it doesn't make sense? Looks like a legible timetable to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Lau2976 wrote: »
    A tad random but I'm curious as to why it doesn't make sense? Looks like a legible timetable to me?

My course this semester is mostly small-group teaching, and there are 160 of us spread over two sites. We have proper timetables for each group and subgroup up on mymodule.tcd.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I can't show you an example of my old timetable since I've graduated, but a big problem I had with mytcd.ie is that it tried to show a weekly timetable for an entire semester even though our classes changed all the time and we had optional modules. When I first saw the timetable it looked like I was 9-5, five days a week with hardly any lunch breaks. At some slots the timetable would show three different lectures that were in different locations in the same time slot and you would have to pick through it to figure out what class you had. It was a near incomprehensible mess, no one used it.

We had a course handbook that went through every date (eg Monday 16th Feb and all the classes that were on that day) it wasn't ideal as it was several pages long, but it did the job.

Basically cramming an entire semester into one week bad. Treating days/weeks as individuals better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

Lawliet wrote: »
    I can't show you an example of my old timetable since I've graduated, but a big problem I had with mytcd.ie is that it tried to show a weekly timetable for an entire semester even though our classes changed all the time and we had optional modules. When I first saw the timetable it looked like I was 9-5, five days a week with hardly any lunch breaks. At some slots the timetable would show three different lectures that were in different locations in the same time slot and you would have to pick through it to figure out what class you had. It was a near incomprehensible mess, no one used it.

We had a course handbook that went through every date (eg Monday 16th Feb and all the classes that were on that day) it wasn't ideal as it was several pages long, but it did the job.

Basically cramming an entire semester into one week bad. Treating days/weeks as individuals better!

We had the same problem as you in our course. Luckily they've actually changed it now, it's pretty trivial to get a per-week view.

Thanks for the feedback guys !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Ideally, I'd say timetables would look like an Outlook or Google calendar, and it'd be possible for a user to add important dates like essay deadlines etc onto the timetable/calendar itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

I don't know how anyone uses those mytcd timetables! OP, you might find it interesting to take a look at the School of Maths timetable program: http://www.maths.tcd.ie/undergraduate/timetable/search.html. It generates a much nicer timetable.

Few enough students seem to be aware of its existence, though I use it all the time.

Advertisement