Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else injured?

Options
  • 14-02-2015 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just two weeks into a broken forearm, I can bare the pain, I don't mind the cast but I am going mental not being able to train!
    I've an appointment with my consultant on Monday, I'm really hoping he'll let me get back on the mats, just kicks and cardio. I need something though, hanging around the club and howling abuse at the lads isn't the same when I can't spar. Haha

So, anyone else going through the horrors? Any stories?
    Keep me motivated. :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭StcIreland

Hey Cian,

Id recommend waiting to see what your consultant says first before you dive into any sort of bag work, then maybe look into doing some rehab work and light drilling once you've been given the all clear, till then the only thing id say do is rest go watch classes so you don't miss out on techniques and stay positive.

Regards

Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Hey Dan, don't plan on punching anything with the broken arm, not for about 6 weeks after the cast comes off or I'm told otherwise by my consultant.

From what I've been reading, the time in the cast is just to let the nine calcify and it's the real healing only happens afterwards. The whole process can take up to a year but the bond should eventually go back to the shame state as it was before the brake, just with a lump of titanium screwed in for good luck!

It'll be a long time yet before I'm back fighting like I was before hand. :(
    I'll definitely be getting to classes all the same though!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭StcIreland

Once the cast comes off stick to Drilling Bjj with a compliant partner, Maybe some light form of resistance training once you can make a fist, your skill you've acquired till now won't just disappear just the fitness levels

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The only advice I can really give is to keep visiting the club during your injury time. Its very important to keep that routine because I've found that once you lose time to something else its a really difficult thing to get back.

Oh, I'm slightly injured (I train Judo so I'm always fecking slightly injured).. I put my back out during Christmas, had twelve injections and lots of physio over January but well into the healing process now.

Feb is always a nightmare month for me, I fight at the last weekend (sometimes first weekend in March) and every year I battle colds and all sorts of bugs which f*ck up my preparation ~ and this year is proving no different :mad:

Speedy recovery with the arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,104 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Get professional confirmation of what you can and can't do.
    But there should be plenty that you can still work on. Possibly stuff that you usually neglect, cardio, strength, stretching, mobility, potentially kicking also.

• Advertisement

Waiting in hospital for the consultant now so I should know what I can do soon anyway.

Jaysus, being able to plan your injuries annually, that's a new one to me. :p
    I do pick up the small ones all the time, less lately but I guess I was saving for the big one.

You're right about keeping in the habit of getting to the club, the last thing I want is to end up losing interest.

My cardio could definitely use work, think that'll depend on what I'm told today too.
    Ah the waiting game...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I was coaching a class yesterday and someone asked me to show them how to do double under skipping. Being a total legend I decided to show off and do loads of them, springing three feet in the air. Of course also being a f*cking eejit I was freezing cold and ended up popping my back. By the end of the class I was choking back tears. I actually spent 30 seconds picking up a bunch of keys this morning.

I should be right by the end of the week but all my gym-mates have fights coming up, I'm coming back into my own fitness again and I'd love to be jumping in sparring and helping them as they did for me in November. Not being able to train is a far more disheartening experience for me than pain.

Haha, I know the feeling.
    There's a no gi competition being run by my club next month. I'll be out if the cast by then but still out of action.
    The MMA sparring had been great in the club too, I was feeling better than ever on the night I broke the arm too.
    To go from there to nothing at all in that flash is worse then the pain by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Well, good news is the bone is healing well, it's good and straight and its strong enough to take the cast off and very slowly and lightly start using my arm again. After two weeks and no cast? No brace? Seems crazy but I guess the pins are doing a good job. :)

Bad news, no training at all. Not even cardio, not allowed drive! He said give it about two weeks before I try and drive again.
    I guess I'll stick to walking for the time.

On how I broke it, I was being silly.
    I was boxing on the 31st, felt great, unstoppable.
    One of the lads didn't have a gum shield so we had to go body only, was going grand at first until I threw in a big hook to the rib, this was defended by lifting his elbow and my forearm came crashing into said elbow.
    That hurt, but I shook it off, thought nothing of it and kept going. 10 minutes later I did exactly the same thing with the same arm, except when the contact was made there was an audible snap and I was on the ground in agony.

My guess is the first hit was a hair line fracture and the second one just totally blew it out.

Pictures if you're not squimish! Only the X-rays.

http://tinypic.com/r/p234p/8
    http://tinypic.com/r/33c7py1/8
    http://tinypic.com/r/15he5gw/8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Back in 2011 I did this - http://i.imgur.com/MC4EYJO.png.

I was debating with myself before if I should post on this thread, because I don't want to say something that comes across as negative or discouraging, but I think you need to keep in mind that the times you are given for how long things take to heal is just an estimate, and a very rough one at that. I found that after I was injured everyone seemed to be saying to me that I'd be grand and that I would be fixed in no time, and I got fairly pissed off/ depressed when almost a year later I was still in pain and had trouble moving properly. It was only then that I started to really understand that bones take about two years to heal properly if you break them in two like you have. I'd read about it, but that's not the same.

Now, that doesn't mean you won't be able to train, it just means that you might have to deal with the after effects of this for a good while yet. Days where it just aches, days where a regular drill that you have been doing no problem suddenly becomes really painful, stuff like that. I used to think that this was a sign that something had gone wrong with the metal plate, and that I was never going to get better, but eventually it all sorted itself out. It's pretty freaky though when you are in pain from something that happened years ago.

One of the things that messed me up long term, was not the fracture itself, it was that I started to develop weird movement patterns to avoid putting stress on my collar bone. This had a knock on effect of putting my neck under a lot of pressure. I still to this day have a lot of problems with my neck. So my main bit of advice is to keep an eye out in any changes in the way you do things. These changes can quickly become permanent, and they are very difficult to change back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Merciful hour. Fair play lads, if I did my arm or any none like that I'd probably lay down in the ring and die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I tore my ACLs and did some cartilage damage.

I have had surgery on one and am about 4 and a half months into rehab. Its going really well an I am ahead of schedule and have started training again picking my training partners.

All I can say is keep going to the gym. Do what conditioning/drills/weights you can. Watch people practice, learn through observation.

It can be lonely as you have to get through it yourself and everyone else is racing ahead and cannot really relate. But don't rush it for the sake of it, in the long run its better to have healed properly and not risk re-injuring yourself or carrying something niggly for years unnecessary.

You can be a life long Martial Arts practitioner if you look after yourself.

Advertisement