Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a plumbing upgrade. Please advise

Options
  • 14-02-2015 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

I'm in the planning stages of upgrading my recently acquired 90sqm/970sqft two bed, one bathroom 100 year old home and would love to get tips regarding the plumbing.

There is a large galvanized cold water storage tank in the attic. An old gas boiler powers 9 radiators and heats the domestic hot water (stored in a poorly insulated copper cylinder). The shower is electric, noisy and produces a weak stream.

The first job I was going to tackle was getting the cold water tank replaced with a modern plastic tank. However I've heard that a cold water tank may not be required with some domestic plumbing systems. I read somewhere that Ireland and GB are the only places in Europe that plumb domestic systems this way? I'd love to hear of better alternatives.

Similarly with the boiler, I was going to upgrade to a moren condensing boiler but I've since heard that they give more trouble than the older less efficient machines and have a much shorter expected lifespan! False economy perhaps?

One thing that's really important is to have a quality showering experience; I want power and silence if possible. By the way, I have no idea if my water pressure is good or bad; it seems normal.

These are my basic requirements, I would love to hear your comments and suggestions.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi I moved this here as you might get more answers to your m&E queries.

Advertisement