Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Education 6th year

Options
  • 13-02-2015 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

Just looking for advice from any current/past students of the IOE. I see they "cover" 100% of the course material in 6th year so could you technically do your LC in 1 year?

I am currently in 5th year but have missed a large portion of the year, approx 50%, due to illness and am thinking I need to do something about my situation. I want to do BESS which is 495 points currently and am planning on going to the institute next year to get the points, however can't decide whether to go into 5th year or 6th year. I will have half the 5th year course in my school done but I don't know if I would be wasting my time with 5th year again or should I go straight into 6th year? Could I manage the workload and cover everything in 6th year?

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated,
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

I'd recommend going into sixth year. When you see how comprehensively and easily they manage to cover the course of each subject in a year, you'll be amazed that some teachers struggle to do it in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bobert127

Thanks very much for that. Thats what I'm leaning towards as I feel if necessary I can repeat 6th year, and 2 years of 6th year in the IOE should be better than 5th and 6th in terms of work done. Would it be achievable and manageable to take up chemistry in 6th year having not done it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

bobert127 wrote: »
    Would it be achievable and manageable to take up chemistry in 6th year having not done it?

If there's a likelihood that you'll take two years, I wonder should you not go into fifth year, as the pace is slower (allowing richer teaching) and there is camaraderie among fifth years that simply doesn't exist amongs sixth years (they have a separate building too). Two years of sixth year could be quite lonely and tiring. However, I don't think you'll be in any way disadvantaged by going straight into sixth.

My personal opinion is that it wouldn't be advisable to take up Chem: it's a long course and the content takes time to understand (I've heard people say that they spend as much time on it as two or three other subjects combined). Would sooner recommend Economics, Physics, Geography.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Please don't discuss staff - it's not fair.
    I realise it was unnamed and positive, but the person was identifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 bobert127

If there's a likelihood that you'll take two years, I wonder should you not go into fifth year, as the pace is slower (allowing richer teaching) and there is camaraderie among fifth years that simply doesn't exist amongs sixth years (they have a separate building too). Two years of sixth year could be quite lonely and tiring. However, I don't think you'll be in any way disadvantaged by going straight into sixth.

My personal opinion is that it wouldn't be advisable to take up Chem: it's a long course and the content takes time to understand (I've heard people say that they spend as much time on it as two or three other subjects combined). Would sooner recommend Economics, Physics, Geography.

Okay thanks for that regarding chemistry, that sounds like a logical decision. I currently do Econ and physics though.

You see my dilemma is that I believe I could do it in 1 year if they teach the whole course properly. In my JC I got 8 As and 2Bs. However if the teaching in 5th year leads to a better understanding of the topic, it could affect my exam results. However I would be afraid if I had to repeat after doing 5th and 6th, my brain would be fried. Hopefully I won't have to repeat 6th but unfortunately due to my absence this year, it is a possibility.

I really appreciate the input you've made and thank you. Do you believe they comprehensively cover the course of the subjects so much so that I would be okay to just go straight into 6th year?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 N.saf

Hiya, I'm in IOE sixth form atm, did fifth year there as well.
    The chemistry for new sixth years is started from scratch, i sit in on this class sometimes for revision. The pace is quite quick though, it's been speculated that that class will only finish the course in the first week of May.

Advertisement