Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A wine nicer than Sangre De Toro for the same price in Tesco

Options
  • 13-02-2015 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Tesco sell Sangre de Toro for 10 euro in Tesco which is a very nice wine at that price, is there anything you recommend over this at the same price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Chateau les Peneteaux is the same price, and much better (to my tastes anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭donaghs

FYI I thought I saw an offer on TV, for Sangre de Toro for €8 in Supervalu. Can't see anything about it online though.
    But Centra are claiming to sell it for €9.50: https://centra.ie/offers?gclid=CIecm_it38MCFazKtAodFhsAKg

The decent wines under €10 seem to fluctuate a lot in Tesco. The only one I can see online at the moment are the Casillero del Diablo's. But I prefer the Sangre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Chateau les Peneteaux is the same price, and much better (to my tastes anyway).

Is it on that needs a bit of decanting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Faustino VII is €10.50 in Dunnes, this weekend, given the way prices are going, this is one for the bargains thread.

Is it on that needs a bit of decanting?

15 minutes should have it ready to rock! I thought it was really good. Here's my review from another site:

Well, this was an unexpected, but welcome, surprise! The Bois Clair and Mezain were perfectly pleasant and certainly worth drinking, but this was more like it! Nice fruit, but a more 'austere' taste, with tannins hitting right at the back of the palate. Very yum indeed. I thought it tasted like it had a lot more Cabernet Sauvignon in there than the last couple and, while I couldn't find the breakdown for this vintage, the 2010 was 55% Cab Sav / 35% Merlot / 10% Cab Franc - an unusual blend for the Entre Deux Mers region. Being a bit of a ****ing nerd, some investigation was warranted!

The wine is made near Margueron, technically within the vast Entre Deux Mers Bordeaux AOC region, but at its extreme Eastern edge near Sainte Foy la Grande (in fact, the wine could also be labelled under the Saint Foy Bordeaux AOC appellation) and is in fact closer to Bergerac than Bordeaux. I think this is the farm, which looks suitably Gallic, right down the 2CV outside the door! Some more Googling threw something up that was, quite literally, under my nose the whole time. Both this wine, and the Chateau de Bois Clair mentioned earlier, are in fact made at the same farm by the same chap (Daniel Biret), just issued under different Chateau names (not sure if this is kosher or not!). In fact, look closely, and you can see the 'Chateau' from the Peneteaux label also skulking in the background on the Bois Clair one. Looking a bit more, it seems he produces half as much Peneteaux as Bois Clair, leading me to think that Bois Clair is his more basic 'everyday' cuvee, and Peneteaux a 'premium' product, which is certainly reflected in the taste. Ironically enough then, that Tesco allege that the Bois Clair has an RRP twice that of the Peneteaux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Bois Clair and Mezain were perfectly pleasant and certainly worth drinking, but this was more like it!

Fantastic review, any more would be most welcome... especially in Tesco, there are so many wines to try and unlike say in ALDI\LIDL, there can be big difference in quality of wine marked at same price.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

FYI, Sangre De Toro is currently 8 euro in Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Hard to beat Toro Loco from Aldi @ €6.49

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭geecee

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Hard to beat Toro Loco from Aldi @ €6.49

God no, its terrible compared to their Baron Amarillo Rioja Reserva.... and certainly no as good as Sangre el toro

Baron Amarillo is €8.99, but easily as good as Campo Viejo Reserve or Faustino V in my book:
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/drinks/wine-cellar/red-wine/red-wine-products-detail-page/ps/p/baron-amarillo-rioja-reserva/

Also Love the Torres San Valentin, which is usually on special after Valentines... Its the one with the Cupid instead of the Bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

geecee wrote: »
    God no, its terrible compared to their Baron Amarillo Rioja Reserva.... and certainly no as good as Sangre el toro

Baron Amarillo is €8.99, but easily as good as Campo Viejo Reserve or Faustino V in my book:
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/drinks/wine-cellar/red-wine/red-wine-products-detail-page/ps/p/baron-amarillo-rioja-reserva/

Also Love the Torres San Valentin, which is usually on special after Valentines... Its the one with the Cupid instead of the Bull!

Everyone to their own tastes, but personally think that Toro Loco (and the reserva in particular for 50c more) are exceptional, particularly for price. In my opinion, Sangre de Toro (and many of Torres range) are quite over-priced for the quality of the wine.

• Advertisement

Personally I don't think (the standard) Toro Loco deserves the plaudits it gets - it's drinkable but think and insipid. The Reserva is much nicer though, and well worth €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Campo Viejo Tempranillo is €11 in Dunnes and is nicer than Sangre de Toro. The Campo Viejo Reserva (orange label) is nicer still but about €14-15

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement