Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walker TV problem

Options
  • 12-02-2015 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me here, I have a Walker WP3210LCD 34" TV that's getting on for 6 year old now and for the past while its been having a fault where when you switch it on all you get is random colours cycling for between 10 and 30 minutes (and now its just dead). I've troubleshooted this down to 1 of 2 things
    1: a thermal issue with the LED's
    2: a PSU issue

I was wondering would it be worth getting the spare parts or would it be better to just get a new TV altogether, unfortunately though, walker don't do 34 inch TVs anymore so... Where to next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

Hi Dylan,

I fix TVs part time, so I'll tell you what I think..
    its been having a fault where when you switch it on all you get is random colours cycling for between 10 and 30 minutes (and now its just dead).

On any TV that I get to look at, I check the Electrolytic capacitors on the PSU first. They are HUGELY prone to failure. Have a look at the side of the PSU that is opposite the end where the three pin AC connector plugs in. You will see a number of these..

cap-pic-640x590-1340838424_500_461_75.jpg

^ That is what a new one looks like. The top is perfectly flat

2010-09-03_072627_2010-07-19_161942_bulgingCap1.jpg

^ This is what a bad one looks like.. the top of the capacitor is bulging.

If you want to take a few good high res images of the capacitors on the PSU, I'll have a look over it...

I'm not saying that this is definitely the cause of the fault, but it's the first thing you need to rule out before putting time in to troubleshooting the other parts of the TV.. Much like if your car wasnt starting, you would look to the battery first. Of the last five TVs I've had on my desk, three were fixed by re-capping (replacing the electrolytic capacitors on the PSU board).

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DylanC431

Hi Dylan,

I fix TVs part time, so I'll tell you what I think..

On any TV that I get to look at, I check the Electrolytic capacitors on the PSU first. They are HUGELY prone to failure. Have a look at the side of the PSU that is opposite the end where the three pin AC connector plugs in. You will see a number of these..

^ That is what a new one looks like. The top is perfectly flat

^ This is what a bad one looks like.. the top of the capacitor is bulging.

If you want to take a few good high res images of the capacitors on the PSU, I'll have a look over it...

I'm not saying that this is definitely the cause of the fault, but it's the first thing you need to rule out before putting time in to troubleshooting the other parts of the TV.. Much like if your car wasnt starting, you would look to the battery first. Of the last five TVs I've had on my desk, three were fixed by re-capping (replacing the electrolytic capacitors on the PSU board).

In my experience the capacitors split open, but on this TV they're fine, flat... There is what look like 2 "packs" on the board furthest to the right, the bottom pack is buzzing (that could be the PSU though)

In my experience the capacitors split open, but on this TV they're fine, flat... There is what look like 2 "packs" on the board furthest to the right, the bottom pack is buzzing (that could be the PSU though)

I've also seen perfect looking capacitors with very high ESR causing problems... tbh, from what you describe it doesnt sound like a stereotypical electrolytic cap failure, but it just makes sense to check them first....

Given that the backlight is on the whole time, the inverter and ccfl bulbs are fully functional... The power supply is also working to power this side of the circuit as well... I would check the voltages going to the main board just to confirm that they are within spec also...

When you say "packs" what do you mean? Buzzing can be caused by failed diodes or sometimes cold joints on transformers/inductors... If you roll up an A4 sheet of paper and stick it to your ear, you should be able to narrow the buzzing sound down to one or two components...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DylanC431

I've also seen perfect looking capacitors with very high ESR causing problems... tbh, from what you describe it doesnt sound like a stereotypical electrolytic cap failure, but it just makes sense to check them first....

Given that the backlight is on the whole time, the inverter and ccfl bulbs are fully functional... The power supply is also working to power this side of the circuit as well... I would check the voltages going to the main board just to confirm that they are within spec also...

When you say "packs" what do you mean? Buzzing can be caused by failed diodes or sometimes cold joints on transformers/inductors... If you roll up an A4 sheet of paper and stick it to your ear, you should be able to narrow the buzzing sound down to one or two components...

I did that and by packs I mean, 2 little rectangular boxes they have a brown color to them and they're attached to the main board (white isolated board)

DylanC431 wrote: »
    I did that

You're gonna need to give me more information for me to be able to help you.. What did you do, did you check the voltages out of the PSU? It sounds like it's working but the next step I would do would check that the voltages going to the main board are right...
    two little rectangular boxes
    If you post a picture of the board, I'll try to identify the component.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I don't think he can post pictures directly yet with just 11 posts.

Given the time taken for the fault to appear I'd be thinking temperature related. Probably dry joints around a regulator or other power component or, as you say, a capacitor losing capacitance or with high ESR worsening with the warm up.

The brown boxes are probably low value high voltage capacitors in the mains filtering board.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

Since there is an expert on here, my walker tv has a blueish purple fade on the top middle of the screen, I think one of the LEDS has gone from that area.

Is it an easy fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 avensus 2012

in moved my walker tv which was working fine to another room and since my screen barly lights up and no picture or sound , its about 7yrs old should i send to to recycle or can it be repaired

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭ozmo

Dont know anywhere that repairs tvs anymore, shame - you could give it a go yourself... Its usually the fix below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbvMegp0ATA (or any of the countless vids showing same)

(Obviously be careful of high voltages and watch out for any large caps that might hold a charge)

Or maybe donate it for parts or for someone else wants to give it a go on Adverts....?

“Roll it back”

Advertisement