Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipped bottom tooth

Options
  • 12-02-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I chipped my bottom tooth a month or so back simply by pressing my finger nail on it. It always felt like it was pressing into my other teeth and I was simply pressing my finger nail between my two teeth. Now I am left with peace of mind but a chip on my bottom tooth.

There is no pain but there is a gap at the bottom where the tooth meets the gum.

Would a white filling fix it ? The side of the tooth has gone quite white compared to the rest of my teeth, I don't know what that means but maybe I need to get it fixed.

What can I get done ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Incubu

It sounds to me that you didn't actually chip the tooth at all. I'd say you broke off a chunk of calculus (also known as tartar) from the back of your lower front teeth.
    I know you feel you have peace of mind now but you should still attend your dentist. At the very least you could do with a check up and more than likely a thorough cleaning. Might be no harm seeing a hygienist as well to help you with your cleaning routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Incubu wrote: »
    It sounds to me that you didn't actually chip the tooth at all. I'd say you broke off a chunk of calculus (also known as tartar) from the back of your lower front teeth.
    I know you feel you have peace of mind now but you should still attend your dentist. At the very least you could do with a check up and more than likely a thorough cleaning. Might be no harm seeing a hygienist as well to help you with your cleaning routine.

Yes I will call into the dentist... its just a bit of a pain.

Its a bit of the tooth missing, I don't know if you want to see a gross pic or not but I took a selfie
    atpyxe.jpg

see the chip at the bottom ? tooth went all white, my teeth aren't that yellow

** sorry I just had noodles ><

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

you need a filling there. there's a fair bit of decay there. as well as the brown bit where it's chipped, there's the chalky white bit where there's nothing underneath the enamel except mush, so that needs to be cleaned out and filled.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Incubu

Having seen the photo there's no doubt I was wrong and ballsymchugh is correct.
    Well that will teach me not to jump to conclusions! Sorry if I led you astray.

Incubu wrote: »
    Having seen the photo there's no doubt I was wrong and ballsymchugh is correct.
    Well that will teach me not to jump to conclusions! Sorry if I led you astray.

in my old job, 9 times out of 10 if a patient came in saying they chippeda bottom tooth, it was just calculus breaking away. kinda disheartening when someone lets so much shyte build up on their teeth that they think it's the way it's meant to be!!

• Advertisement

I went to the dentist this evening after work but they all close early in the evenings and don't do Saturdays. I will have to get off work doh ! Its something like €30 consultation fee and €100 for white filling here in Monaghan town.. not cheap for me.

thanks for the posts, I will definitely visit a dentist soon.

I booked a dentist appointment but its the 19th of March.. just last night my tooth split

https://s.yimg.com/hd/answers/i/d044795d3d984250a57d54969cfa91af_A.jpeg?a=answers&mr=0&x=1424425622&

Will a white filling still do the job ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

sorry cant access pic?

Here it is.

Thats a pretty extensive fracture due to long standing deep decay. It is unlikely but not impossible a filling may be adequate, but my guess based on the information I have would be that it may be a crown, a root canal and crown or an extraction and replacement depending on the nerve in the tooth and the ammount of good tooth left.

Only your dentist with a X-ray and the appropriate test can tell for sure.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the opinion. I will have to wait until the 19th of March because the dentist is fully booked up. I always felt it sore but I can't believe it was rotten. It feels much better now just sharp.

Not really looking forward to the bill.

Remember there op that decay may be present on other teeth also. Get a full checkup and X-rays. Dont focus totally on this one tooth or by the time its fixed you could have another. Good luck you will be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

That's fascinating to look at especially how quickly it fractured...

Yes It was quite a surprise ! but only a bit of a tooth came out when it fractured, maybe there was nothing there at all.. I better get the X-rays but that tooth always felt less than 100% and the dentist always gave me the all clear.

I went to the dentist today, I was told I need a tooth implant but the dentist doesn't do it herself. Of the top of her head she said it would cost slightly less than €2000 but its slightly cheaper in the north. where is the cheapest place to get it done, and what kind of crown do they put in ? I have a zirconium crown and its a good colour compared to the old one I had that looked fake.

at the moment, £1 = €1.40

remember that if getting quotes from the north.

I got a price for £2000 in Enniskillen which was meant to be cheaper.. I was give a cost of around €1400 (<no names> ballsbridge) for the same tooth implant procedure in Dublin. So much for the better saving up north. Not willing to go to hungry tough even with lots of savings.

Hi,

I have another question about my teeth :

My teeth are a bit sensitive and always seem to have been but I chose to ignore it to date. Recently with the split tooth and with the gum exposed I get some serious sharp pains - (the pain goes away after a session of sea salt & boiling water) but I am going to the dentist and I am wondering about the rest of my teeth.

I got a lot of white fillings and sometimes its feels like I have hollow teeth when eating - ( solid at the edge but full of white filling in the middle) I'm not really able to completely close my bite when eating as I really feel my nerves. I can't really take a bite without thinking first and sort of eating with less than total commitment.

Do you think that my exposed tooth is causing the pain in the rest of my mouth or maybe the fillings are sort of hollow and my nerves are exposed ?

Advertisement