Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which mortgage provider?

Options
  • 12-02-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Myself and my partner have been approved for a mortgage with Ulster bank, BOI and a broker through haven.

Has anyone got any past experience which any of the above.

The Monthly repayments and rates are all fairly similar.

We are unsure though of who to go with

Any tips would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hold tight for a few days. UB are reducing their rates in the coming days. We are approved with th hope of drawing down in the next 2 weeks and our adviser called to tell us our fixed rate is dropping from 4.45 to 3.99. It wasn't even in her internal calculator yet so she couldn't tell us the exact saving we would make but just confirmed it will be in force by the time we draw down.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

kceire wrote: »
    Hold tight for a few days. UB are reducing their rates in the coming days. We are approved with th hope of drawing down in the next 2 weeks and our adviser called to tell us our fixed rate is dropping from 4.45 to 3.99. It wasn't even in her internal calculator yet so she couldn't tell us the exact saving we would make but just confirmed it will be in force by the time we draw down.

That's great info thanks for letting me know. If you don't mind be asking are you going for the 3 or 5 year fixed ?

That's great info thanks for letting me know. If you don't mind be asking are you going for the 3 or 5 year fixed ?

We're actually going for the 7 year fixed believe it or not at 3.99%.
    It just works for us as we have a cheap tracker on one house already and want to be sure what our payments will be going forward with that and the rental property.
    Everybody will be different though.

Just dug out the press release : http://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/ulster-bank-puts-it-up-to-rivals-with-mortgage-cut-for-all-customers-30962914.html

It just works for us as we have a cheap tracker on one house already and want to be sure what our payments will be going forward with that and the rental property.
    Everybody will be different though.

Just dug out the press release : http://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/ulster-bank-puts-it-up-to-rivals-with-mortgage-cut-for-all-customers-30962914.html

That's interesting as the max we were offered was 5 years fixed.
    I'll double check tomorrow if they can offer 7.

Out of the 3 options we found ulster bank the best to deal with everything was done on time and we didn't once have to chase them for information.

That's interesting as the max we were offered was 5 years fixed.
    I'll double check tomorrow if they can offer 7.

Out of the 3 options we found ulster bank the best to deal with everything was done on time and we didn't once have to chase them for information.

I'm currently approved with UB and KBC. FOund both of them the best to deal with too.

• Advertisement

I'm currently approved with UB and KBC. FOund both of them the best to deal with too.

Thanks , think we will go with UB as we both bank with them and never had any bother with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

not saying it's the right or wrong decision, only time will tell, but fixing for 7 years is very high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

not saying it's the right or wrong decision, only time will tell, but fixing for 7 years is very high risk.

It is actually prudent. Going variable by the nature of the product is very high risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

5 or 7 years is a very long time to be locked into a fixed rate mortgage - what if, as expected, variable rates drop further or a competitor bank offers better switching rates in say a couple of years and the OP is locked into a fixed rate for 5 or 7 years and can't take advantage of such an offer ? And do you really think that a lender is offering fixed rates to their own disadvantage over such a period ? Was at a similar decision point last year and opted for a 1 year fixed rate - the interest rate scenario beyond that was anyone's guess - could go either way but I was never convinced that even 5 year fixed rate was worth it on the off chance that variable rates would rise over the course of the 5 years lock in. There is huge pressure on banks to lower their lending rates in the context of much cheaper European mortgage lending and it's anyone's guess which way our rates are headed over the next few years, never mind 5-7 years hence.. Good luck and happy days with the house purchase whichever lender & term you go with !

3.99%, historically, is an extremly low interest rate. There is a lot to be said about the security of knowing your repayment amount long term. Yes they may go lower, but also over the 7 years they could go a lot higher. Banks have shown their form when it comes to predicting the future and if they screw up there is someone there to bail them out unfortunately.

As a rule of thumb if you can afford to pay more tha your monthly repayment or expecting a cash lump sum in the future I would go variable otherwise and especially in this environment I would fix for as long as possible

• Advertisement

As for which bank to go with. Avoid the ones that are only offering discount to new customers. Once you sign up you are no longer a new customer

Thanks for all your replys.

The reason I am drawn to the fixed rate is you know how much you have to put aside each month. You can plan ahead for holidays and future spending without having to worry about keep a little extra aside just in case.
    As a few of you said in a few years time depending on the interest rate I could be paying a lot more than I have to if I stayed with variable.

It's a tough decision

• Registered Users Posts: 4 otto500

Went with boi. They were extremely fast and efficient. There was no bulls%it delays. Would definitely recommend them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I went with a 1 year fixed rate with KBC which is 3.55%, they reduce it by 0.2% if you open a current account with them which I did so it's effectively 3.35% for me. I can afford to to risk them going up so it works for me.

Nobody here can tell you what the rates will be in 1,3 or 5 years so the best choice for you will depend on how much a risk you can take in terms of rate increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

5 or 7 years is a very long time to be locked into a fixed rate mortgage - what if, as expected, variable rates drop further or a competitor bank offers better switching rates in say a couple of years and the OP is locked into a fixed rate for 5 or 7 years and can't take advantage of such an offer ? And do you really think that a lender is offering fixed rates to their own disadvantage over such a period ?

Equally (or oppositely!), I could say:
    20 or more years after expiry of a 7 year fixed term is a very long time to be subject to variable rate mortgage - what if, as expected, variable rates vary over the long term and the OP can't afford an increase ? And do you really think that a lender is offering variable rates to their own disadvantage over such a period ?

F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Heh. The high court is talking nonsense. The point of trackers was to track the ECB rates. People who failed to get them didn't sign into that contract so why the discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Dearg81 wrote: »
    I went with a 1 year fixed rate with KBC which is 3.55%, they reduce it by 0.2% if you open a current account with them which I did so it's effectively 3.35% for me. I can afford to to risk them going up so it works for me.

Nobody here can tell you what the rates will be in 1,3 or 5 years so the best choice for you will depend on how much a risk you can take in terms of rate increases.

That's a great rate. After your 1 year though what does your rate go up to?
    Is it these? http://www.kbc.ie/index.jsp?p=115&n=264&a=239

I'm with them at the moment (have been for about 7 years) and my LTV is less than 70% but they don't care. I'm planning on jumping ship in the next couple of months.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

We are still unsure what to do in relation to fixed VS variable.

Its a tough decision to make that's for sure!!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

We are still unsure what to do in relation to fixed VS variable.

Its a tough decision to make that's for sure!!

Same here after reading this thread!

• Advertisement

If unsure go with variable. You can alwayso fix later if you want

Villa05 wrote: »
    If unsure go with variable. You can alwayso fix later if you want

At the moment I am tempted my variable with the broker who has approved us.

A friend has his mortgage with him for the last 6 years and he is constantly moving it from supplier to supplier to get the lowest rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

'brave Dublin couple' I love it! Perhaps they should instead look at other investments if this is not working for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

It strikes me as an odd way of looking at things. Variable rate is gambling and higher risk. Fixed rate is only high risk in the same way that not betting on a horse is high risk, because you may miss backing a winner.

OK it's not actually the same but hopefully the point males sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

At the moment I am tempted my variable with the broker who has approved us.

A friend has his mortgage with him for the last 6 years and he is constantly moving it from supplier to supplier to get the lowest rate.

By switching a mortgage constantly, the cost savings are quickly eroded by the costs of legals, valuation and broker fees. Seems like an opportunistic broker there....be wary.

Why not split the mortgage 50% variable, 50% fixed. If rates start to increase you can always fix the variable element (albeit at a higher rate) at a later stage too. You can also accelerate payments to the variable element if you have e tra cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Heh. The high court is talking nonsense.

I guess you're a Supreme Court judge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭phormium

If you can't decide fixed or variable hedge your bets and do a split mortgage, half fixed/half variable. Still won't be able to switch providers/sell within the fixed term without paying a penalty to break the fixed portion but at least if you really want to it will be only half the penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

We went variable because we wanted to overpay. Even putting as little as €25 extra every month on the mortgage reduces the term by 2 years and wiould save us over €8000 in interest payments. That's crazy when you think how easily you'd spend that amount on a takeaway or a round of drinks.

Woshy wrote: »
    We went variable because we wanted to overpay.

That makes sense especially withe the new rules on mortgage lending, one would find that they would have some bit extra left at the end of the month.
    I would keep a close eye on fixed rates though. These are emergency low rates and will not be around long term. Don't miss the opportunity to fix

• Advertisement

Woshy wrote: »
    We went variable because we wanted to overpay. Even putting as little as €25 extra every month on the mortgage reduces the term by 2 years and wiould save us over €8000 in interest payments. That's crazy when you think how easily you'd spend that amount on a takeaway or a round of drinks.

We have been doing that on our Tracker since 2006 also. As you say, €25 here or there makes a difference in the long term.
    Its with BoSI, so no direct debit, i just manually transfer every fort night (Pay Day) and if i have 50 extra, it goes with it.

Advertisement