Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs on FAS website

• 12-02-2015 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hello,

I tried applying for a few jobs via FAS website, but I noticed some offers are posted for a day or less then removed. Is that normal? :confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

What do you mean is that normal?

You are wondering why some jobs are taken offline after a day or two...?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Lehmann

Yes.
    From what I noticed, some jobs are advertised even less than a day, then removed..
    If you're a boss and looking for a good candidate for a job you have on offer, why would you post the ad for a few hours or one day then remove it?

Received 50 CVs...
    Hiring process frozen...
    Changed their mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Godeatsboogers

The job market is dense my friend, did you hear about the recession?

Received 50 CVs...
    Hiring process frozen...
    Changed their mind...

That's a possibility.
    However, there is something I keep hearing Irish people saying (I'm not Irish), about jobs posted on FAS. I wanted to ask the question here, because I want to understand... I'm told that most jobs advertised on FAS are already filled, they know the candidates they want to hire, and they just advertise for a short period of time then take down their ad. When I ask why, I'm told that it's for legal purposes... I just want to understand what's the story.

• Advertisement

The job market is dense my friend, did you hear about the recession?

I know well about the recession, and it has hit many countries, not just Ireland. I have hope to find a job here. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭malinheader

Applied for a couple of FAS Supervisor jobs last year on the FAS JOBSEEKER page, sent in cv and all other information. After couple of weeks of closing date rang to see what was happening and was told letter will be sent out shortly. Surprise surprise i didnt make it through to interveiw stage. Heard afterwards the jobs were already taken but jobs had to be advertised. an all to familiar story.

Applied for a couple of FAS Supervisor jobs last year on the FAS JOBSEEKER page, sent in cv and all other information. After couple of weeks of closing date rang to see what was happening and was told letter will be sent out shortly. Surprise surprise i didnt make it through to interveiw stage. Heard afterwards the jobs were already taken but jobs had to be advertised. an all to familiar story.

This is exactly what I'm trying to understand.
    Many people I met are telling me the same stories, that jobs on FAS are usually taken but they just advertise because they have to...
    Is it a legal requirement for companies to advertise jobs?

Isn't it so wrong and unfair to advertise jobs that are actually not available, and make genuine jobseekers loose their time, energy and money (postage to send applications)???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

A lot of these jobs are taken off and re-advertised as Jobbridge positions...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Lehmann wrote: »
    This is exactly what I'm trying to understand.
    Many people I met are telling me the same stories, that jobs on FAS are usually taken but they just advertise because they have to...
    Is it a legal requirement for companies to advertise jobs?

Isn't it so wrong and unfair to advertise jobs that are actually not available, and make genuine jobseekers loose their time, energy and money (postage to send applications)???

It's my understanding that only jobs in the public sector are required to be advertised (and I totally agree, it's so frustrating to be applying for jobs that aren't really available). If they're private sector though, I don't think there's any requirement to advertise.

• Advertisement

That's a possibility.
    However, there is something I keep hearing Irish people saying (I'm not Irish), about jobs posted on FAS. I wanted to ask the question here, because I want to understand... I'm told that most jobs advertised on FAS are already filled, they know the candidates they want to hire, and they just advertise for a short period of time then take down their ad. When I ask why, I'm told that it's for legal purposes... I just want to understand what's the story.

The majority of jobs are not removed shortly after being put online.

The few that are, most are due to reasons similar to the ones I outlined above.
    A very small number of jobs will be removed for weird or compliance reasons (e.g. government jobs must be publicly advertised).

If you are noticing a pattern, there is something weird about the jobs you're applying for.

What sort of jobs are you applying for?

The majority of jobs are not removed shortly after being put online.

The few that are, most are due to reasons similar to the ones I outlined above.
    A very small number of jobs will be removed for weird or compliance reasons (e.g. government jobs must be publicly advertised).

If you are noticing a pattern, there is something weird about the jobs you're applying for.

What sort of jobs are you applying for?

From what I noticed, many jobs are removed (and not just those I apply for), but all are in the private sector actually.
    Not sure about the "weird" thing here, but it's mostly jobs as salesperson, store assistant, PA, Receptionist, Accommodation Assistant, sales jobs with 1 or 2 foreign languages...

From what I noticed, many jobs are removed (and not just those I apply for), but all are in the private sector actually.
    Not sure about the "weird" thing here, but it's mostly jobs as salesperson, store assistant, PA, Receptionist, Accommodation Assistant, sales jobs with 1 or 2 foreign languages...

I find this hard to believe, sorry.

I find this hard to believe, sorry.

I don't! This is something I've seen myself on a regular basis. All the positions the OP has described are perfect Jobbridge positions. Obviously some of the employers have realised they don't have to pay wages if they can get someone for free!!

I don't! This is something I've seen myself on a regular basis. All the positions the OP has described are perfect Jobbridge positions. Obviously some of the employers have realised they don't have to pay wages if they can get someone for free!!

It's been many months I'm checking that website almost everyday, and monitoring jobs (and in 2 counties), and that's how I noticed this strange thing. Disheartening...

This is awful if it's true.

This is awful if it's true.

Believe me. It is!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

I advertised a job in 2014 - one professional was required.
    I received over 50 CVs in a first 30 minutes and over 300+ in 24 hours, including from the UK, Spain, France, Italy, Poland etc.

al22 wrote: »
    I advertised a job in 2014 - one professional was required.
    I received over 50 CVs in a first 30 minutes and over 300+ in 24 hours, including from the UK, Spain, France, Italy, Poland etc.

I get your point about some companies taking down their job offers after a short time because they received too many CVs via email. But there are some companies that removed their ads after requesting postal applications. And that's why I complained in a previous post about losing money posting CVs for jobs that seem to be unavailable...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Do not POST, use e-mail
    Nobody can reed most of printed CVs - straight into bin. Nobody will reed all electronic CVs either, but at least these files can be stored on the PC and will be searcheable if required with a "Find a word" - if I need a XXXXXX I will type XXXXXX in search and get appropriate CVs with this word only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Do not POST, use e-mail
    Nobody can reed most of printed CVs - straight into bin. Nobody will reed all electronic CVs either, but at least these files can be stored on the PC and will be searcheable if required with a "Find a word" - if I need a XXXXXX I will type XXXXXX in search and get appropriate CVs with this word only.

Sometimes they specifically request applications by post only. I imagine given the chance to email and save money, most people would choose that, but sometimes it's not an option.

Do not POST, use e-mail

I know what you mean, but not all companies provide you with an email to send your CV. But when they do give an email and a postal address, I of course choose to send my application electronically.

Sometimes I think about googling the company's official website, and searching for an email to send my CV instead of posting it, but on FAS site, you read: "Contact arrangements must be followed exactly as stated by the employer as they are the preferred method of contact."

Iam sorry to say Most of the time when looking for a job its WHO YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU KNOW seems to be the rule.

Iam sorry to say Most of the time when looking for a job its WHO YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU KNOW seems to be the rule.

That's what I keep hearing from friends and people I ask about jobs! :(

That's what I keep hearing from friends and people I ask about jobs! :(

I Have seen it happen plenty of times. Anyway keep positive and good luck with the job hunting.

I Have seen it happen plenty of times. Anyway keep positive and good luck with the job hunting.

Thank you!

Advertisement