Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Water Swimming in Dublin

Options
  • 12-02-2015 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi,

Im considering attempting some triathlons this year, i would be an absolute beginner.

I live out in Donabate and there is not a lot of pools near me where I could get swim training in, as well as that at the moment i would not be too flash with the cash so paying for pool membership is out of my reach.

Just wondering if anyone knows any decent, safe places I could swim in the sea.

Donabate looks safe enough but as I am new to the area I could not be too sure of tides, currents etc.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Low Rock and High Rock in Portmarnock are popular all year round. Low Rock doesnt work at low tide. Then there is Bull Wall, also popular 3 hrs either side of high tide. Skerries beach is good too AFAIK but I dont know if there are regulars there. At all the above spots you swim parallel to the shore which helps with safety.

Always a good idea to OW swim with someone else at any time of year but especially now. Local knowledge of what the tide should be doing is also important.

Water temp at high rock isnt much more than 5 deg right now. I havent seen a wetsuit there since early Nov and most swimmers are lasting from 10 seconds to 90 seconds apart from the Ice Milers. What I am trying to say is that unless you have layers of lard you wont get much training done in the sea at the moment.

You can pay as you go at the NAC too and presumably at other (public) pools so that could be an option while the sea warms up.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Thanks Doeshedare, appreciate the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Yep if you're clever about the timing you can get into a lane in the NAC for as little as €4.80 which isn't bad value if you have a set worked out and maximise the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Louchhinny near skerries has a great sort of cove to swim in, i know Fingal tri club swim there in the summer. Grand and safe and not too rough.

Advertisement