Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the strangest thing you've seen on a slope?

Options
  • 12-02-2015 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

Fattes' video of the mountain lion on a ski slope gave me the idea for this thread.

Most of us have seen unusual things on a slope - what was the most unusual, unexpected thing you've seen?

Mine wasn't strange, but it was unusual. I was sitting on the edge of a slope in Morzine, next minute some guy came flying silently over the tops of the trees, paragliding, and disappeared over the trees on the other side of the slopes. About 5 seconds later a magnificent German Sheppard dog went bounding down the slope chasing after him, he too disappeared into the trees, and everything went quiet again.

It was pretty cool. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Good question! You may remember this guy, he makes an occasional piste appearance in Soll, makes me laugh every time ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

fannymagee wrote: »
    Good question! You may remember this guy, he makes an occasional piste appearance in Soll, makes me laugh every time ;-)

Remember him well! He's not even wearing a helmet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I saw a Wookie is Les Arcs recently...

cormee wrote: »
    Remember him well! He's not even wearing a helmet.

In fairness it was very early morning, he was prob just on his way to the jacks ;-)

I must admit, I'm always fascinated by the way helicopter pilots can land on even the trickiest slopes. I watched a rescue last weekend, and it was was so beautifully done and at an incredible angle, I was hypnotised! I went to take a photo but feckin phone froze at just the wrong moment, otherwise it would've been posted here ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

A cougar in the trees in Banff! A Fox type thing in the trees in Banff, a heard of zebra on the slopes today (Its Carnival in Swiss land this week)

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/246892/338692.jpg

And these bogey characters on the morning of my wedding lapping the park and slopes of a glacier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

There's some lad in Saalbach, who goes up on the first chair (I think it's the Panorama 6er) with his dog, and he skis down, dog runs beside him, hugging the treeline. What a way to walk the dog before you go to work, wha!

Also saw a girl on the beginner slopes with a pair of jeans and a regular wool knee length overcoat. Looked like she was going to work one day & said 'feck it, I'll take a spin on this slope'. Looked so odd.

olaola wrote: »

Also saw a girl on the beginner slopes with a pair of jeans and a regular wool knee length overcoat. Looked like she was going to work one day & said 'feck it, I'll take a spin on this slope'. Looked so odd.

Yeah the thoughts of skiing in jeans, ugghh!! Gives me the willies ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Ronan Mullen in cervinia last week

Just after a near death experience! (Clearly was seeing God)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

a148pro wrote: »
    Ronan Mullen in cervinia last week

Just after a near death experience! (Clearly was seeing God)

WAH!!!! *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sun dog in Les Arcs was pretty strange but cool:

Actually now that I think of it a mouse ran out on the piste on me in January, I stopped incredulous and he ran and hid under my skis!

Have a picture of him legging it away

I must be a **** skier if I notice and am caught by a mouse

:pac:

Actually now that I think of it a mouse ran out on the piste on me in January, I stopped incredulous and he ran and hid under my skis!

Haha!! Quick off the mark with the camera though!! GoPro?!

:pac:

That's not a mouse, it's a REALLY SMALL moose.

(but I think it's fair to say you're the current leader in this competition)

cormee wrote: »
    That's not a mouse, it's a REALLY SMALL moose.

(but I think it's fair to say you're the current leader in this competition)

The mouse beats my donkey?!! You know size matters, right?! Ok that's it. I'm off to find a lesser spotted Soll mountain lion tomorrow. Watch this space ;)

The mouse beats my donkey?!! You know size matters, right?! Ok that's it. I'm off to find a lesser spotted Soll mountain lion tomorrow. Watch this space ;)

Judge's rule is FINAL, Fanny!

But he does beat you from a "bizarre" pov, you have to admit. :D

Haha!! Quick off the mark with the camera though!! GoPro?!

No! The cheeky fecker hid under my stationary skis long enough for me to get my phone out, unlock it and get the shot!

Was the last run of the day and I was having serious double takes looking around to see if I was imagining the entire thing

No! The cheeky fecker hid under my stationary skis long enough for me to get my phone out, unlock it and get the shot!

Was the last run of the day and I was having serious double takes looking around to see if I was imagining the entire thing

Haha, that's brilliant!!!

How about a full on Paddy's Day parade on the slopes?! Check this out for a motley crew ;-)

Haha, that's brilliant!!!

How about a full on Paddy's Day parade on the slopes?! Check this out for a motley crew ;-)

Makes me proud to be Irish *quiver*

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    Sun dog in Les Arcs was pretty strange but cool:

That's very cool. Never seen one of those.

Meant to say that sun dog is AMAZING!! And as for the ski parade, it was so ridiculous I just couldn't stop laughing. Brilliant day :-)

I have some bad news for you a148pro

:(

mouse.jpg

It's those fat skis, they're lethal, poor fellas don't stand a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Wobbly_Legs

olaola wrote: »
    There's some lad in Saalbach, who goes up on the first chair (I think it's the Panorama 6er) with his dog, and he skis down, dog runs beside him, hugging the treeline. What a way to walk the dog before you go to work, wha!

I noticed this was a bit of a trend for the more mature male locals in Czech! Jeans with a rip in the bottom to fit over their boots and a woolly jumper..

Never seen anything particularly strange on the slopes, some comical falls, but noting which has stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Up at Freestyle Friday in Kiltiernan last week and noticed a frog who jumped onto the magic carpet to get to the top of the snowflex slope. Good queue etiquette, definitely wasn't French that's for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

granty1987 wrote: »
    Up at Freestyle Friday in Kiltiernan last week and noticed a frog who jumped onto the magic carpet to get to the top of the snowflex slope. Good queue etiquette, definitely wasn't French that's for sure
    Was up at that session myself, must have missed that!

Other than people wiping out hilariously I have seen nothing of value! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I saw the guy and dog thing too last year. It was on a run at the back end of nowhere so he definitely got there the hard way, however he did it. I have a photo at home somewhere of himself and the dog on the lift. I'll see if I can dig it out.

Meantime it's Fasching over here in Austria today so there were all sorts of costumes on the slopes. I saw a flock of chickens snowboarding this afternoon, plus a bearded nun and a motley assortment of other outfits.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Not my photo (stolen from snowheads), but yes that is batman

10959557_10155157143540416_958830990988092076_n.jpg?oh=e1752e749ec5142c55f00f43a413285f&oe=55491383&__gda__=1431281875_7ffdde3fc53340ef730d73dc6b2d78db

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

That is class

Advertisement