Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wisdom teeth

Options
  • 12-02-2015 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭

Okay this might be completely crazy but I don't know too much about dentistry so bear with me!
    I was meant to have my wisdom teeth out about 2-3 years ago, was all set to go, then on the table I had complications with the anaesthetic which meant it wasn't safe to go ahead, so the surgeon rescheduled me in a different hospital which would have better facilities. I was so freaked out by what had happened before that I cancelled the day before I was meant to go in.
    Now since then I've had another general anaesthetic for something else with no complications but I just have a complete fear of having one for my wisdom teeth.
    So to cut a long story short, is there and alternative around having surgery to remove impacted teeth? I was told all 4 are impacted.. Since the X-ray 2 of them have cut perfectly but the bottom two are definitely stuck, only half up on one side and I can feel the other one but it hasn't cut. So could the teeth in front of them be pulled to make room for them to come up, and then a brace used to pull them forward or something like that? I don't know if it's a done thing, just my brain trying to come up with any alternative to surgery!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Okay this might be completely crazy but I don't know too much about dentistry so bear with me!
    I was meant to have my wisdom teeth out about 2-3 years ago, was all set to go, then on the table I had complications with the anaesthetic which meant it wasn't safe to go ahead, so the surgeon rescheduled me in a different hospital which would have better facilities. I was so freaked out by what had happened before that I cancelled the day before I was meant to go in.
    Now since then I've had another general anaesthetic for something else with no complications but I just have a complete fear of having one for my wisdom teeth.
    So to cut a long story short, is there and alternative around having surgery to remove impacted teeth? I was told all 4 are impacted.. Since the X-ray 2 of them have cut perfectly but the bottom two are definitely stuck, only half up on one side and I can feel the other one but it hasn't cut. So could the teeth in front of them be pulled to make room for them to come up, and then a brace used to pull them forward or something like that? I don't know if it's a done thing, just my brain trying to come up with any alternative to surgery!

First off op, you need to find out why the first anesthetic was abandoned?? This is really important and I am surprised that another anesthetist put you to sleep since without investigating this!!!

Rather than trying to change the plan to remove the wisdom teeth, how about you change how this is done. You do not need a GA to remove wisdom teeth. You can have them removed safely and comfortably under local anesthetic or with IV sedation and not expose yourself to an unnecessary GA….

Removing the adjacent teeth i usually a terrible idea. The wisdom teeth usually never come into a good position ortho or not…. Worst case scenario, you take the adjacent teeth out and later need to remove the wisdom teeth too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

First off op, you need to find out why the first anesthetic was abandoned?? This is really important and I am surprised that another anesthetist put you to sleep since without investigating this!!!

Rather than trying to change the plan to remove the wisdom teeth, how about you change how this is done. You do not need a GA to remove wisdom teeth. You can have them removed safely and comfortably under local anesthetic or with IV sedation and not expose yourself to an unnecessary GA….

Removing the adjacent teeth i usually a terrible idea. The wisdom teeth usually never come into a good position ortho or not…. Worst case scenario, you take the adjacent teeth out and later need to remove the wisdom teeth too!!

Thanks for getting back to me! They stopped the first time because I had an asthma attack when I was being induced. From what I remember, it was supposed to be done with a nasal intubation (I had to take some medicine up my nose beforehand to open the airways) but to be honest I'd never even heard of nasal intubation before! But after the asthma attack my O2 was dropping so they had to do a full intubation to give ventolin in the tube. That's what I've been told anyway, all I really remember from it was waking up and crying my eyes out because I still had teeth! When it came to the second surgery I told them what had happened and they gave me IV steroids before induction to stop it happening again, but still I can't help having a fear of it, I only managed to get through the second time because it was emergency surgery otherwise I never would have agreed.
    That's interesting about the IV sedation or local though, I'll definitely look into that. I know I had iv sedation for another procedure before and it had absolutely no effect on me at all, but I presume combined with local anaesthetic it wouldn't be so bad? Does it take long to do this way? I'm just really really paranoid about the whole thing since that day!

Thanks for getting back to me! They stopped the first time because I had an asthma attack when I was being induced. From what I remember, it was supposed to be done with a nasal intubation (I had to take some medicine up my nose beforehand to open the airways) but to be honest I'd never even heard of nasal intubation before! But after the asthma attack my O2 was dropping so they had to do a full intubation to give ventolin in the tube. That's what I've been told anyway, all I really remember from it was waking up and crying my eyes out because I still had teeth! When it came to the second surgery I told them what had happened and they gave me IV steroids before induction to stop it happening again, but still I can't help having a fear of it, I only managed to get through the second time because it was emergency surgery otherwise I never would have agreed.
    That's interesting about the IV sedation or local though, I'll definitely look into that. I know I had iv sedation for another procedure before and it had absolutely no effect on me at all, but I presume combined with local anaesthetic it wouldn't be so bad? Does it take long to do this way? I'm just really really paranoid about the whole thing since that day!

The removal of the wisdom teeth under sedation would take about an hour and a half. (Most of that time is doing the sedation and letting you sleep it off. It feels like 5 minutes to you...
    Look into it. Your asthma is still significant so make the oral surgeon aware of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭martin_g

Hi Guys

I have a few questions regarding wisdom teeth removal, I have been told I need my wisdom tooth extracted surgically (Tooth LL8) I know there is also a very large nerve very close to this tooth from the X-ray. I have been told also to be very careful as if the nerve gets damaged it can affect your hearing, my hearing is very important work wise so cant afford anything to happen there. I am extreme nervous about getting this done and would prefer to get it done under sedation, does anyone know if the standard vhi covers any kind of cost towards this?

Wisdom teeth can be close to some nerves but none that affect hearing.!!
    martin_g wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I have a few questions regarding wisdom teeth removal, I have been told I need my wisdom tooth extracted surgically (Tooth LL8) I know there is also a very large nerve very close to this tooth from the X-ray. I have been told also to be very careful as if the nerve gets damaged it can affect your hearing, my hearing is very important work wise so cant afford anything to happen there. I am extreme nervous about getting this done and would prefer to get it done under sedation, does anyone know if the standard vhi covers any kind of cost towards this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement