Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 1.6l TDCI 119bhp diesel Ford Titanium - dragging / choking

Options
  • 11-02-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

We have a 2008 1.6l turbo diesel titanium TDCI ford focus.

We noticed several months ago that it started dragging at high speeds eg on the motorway. This wasn't constant, but intermittent with no discernible pattern. It feels like it's choking or dragging, but will stop after maybe 10km or if you slow down and reduce the gears, accelerate in the lower gear then move up to the high gear again.

We have replaced the diesel filter. We then replaced the diesel injector seals (copper seals), the EGR, and the air flow meter. The DPF was replaced at 75,000 miles and the current mileage is 95,000 miles.

There isn't any fault codes and it's been hooked up to the main dealers computer (they then suggested the injector seal replacement, which hasn't worked). There isn't any warning lights either.

Suggestions / ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

Did you have a main dealer scan on your car?were any faults shown, other than that a run on a Dyno would show how everything is really working

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

If the car has 100% power when it's working then I'd try the turbo actuator valve which controls the geometry in the turbo.

These can go on the Focus and it feels like zero turbo and annoying intermittent. I opened one actuator and found a tiny piece of metal was preventing the actuator moving correctly.

The only way it was diagnosed was a small vacuum gauge teed into the actuator vacuum circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

ford jedi wrote: »
    Did you have a main dealer scan on your car?were any faults shown, other than that a run on a Dyno would show how everything is really working

Yes, the local Ford main dealer did a scan and no error messages :(

mullingar wrote: »
    If the car has 100% power when it's working then I'd try the turbo actuator valve which controls the geometry in the turbo.

These can go on the Focus and it feels like zero turbo and annoying intermittent. I opened one actuator and found a tiny piece of metal was preventing the actuator moving correctly.

The only way it was diagnosed was a small vacuum gauge teed into the actuator vacuum circuit
    ford jedi wrote: »
    a run on a Dyno would show how everything is really working

It's booked back into the main dealer tomorrow as their previous fix didn't work, so I'll suggest the actuator as an option... It's been ongoing for nearly a year so the problem is driving us up the wall; you get worried that you are destroying the vehicle but apart from this intermittent problem, it otherwise drives like a dream. We service regularly (with good quality products), and any repairs are do e promptly, it's just this one thing is eluding us.

OH asks if it's possible to replace the actuator separately, or does the turbo need to be replaced altogether? If just the actuator is possible, any idea on how to adjust this?

• Advertisement

This is the part I'm referring to, it's the actuator control valve, not the actuator arm into the turbo

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/331470757987

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

109bhp I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Sounds like the Dpf, when it was changed was the additive tank under the car topped up? This tank aids regeneration of the dpf.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Worth getting a Terraclean done?

Fiskar wrote: »
    Sounds like the Dpf, when it was changed was the additive tank under the car topped up? This tank aids regeneration of the dpf.

Yes - all done by a main dealer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

Sounds very similar to a problem my brother had with his focus, replacing the actuator solved the problem fully & was a €200 fix

Ok, so it went into the main dealer, connected the computer, manual examination etc and their verdict is 'new throttle body required'.

Ford quoted for the part at €485 plus VAT, plus labour of around €175. The aftermarket part is quoted at €230 and the OH is considering fitting it himself, but would the new throttle body need to be programmed, or is it just a case of installing it?

PS this is a 2008-2011 model, not the earlier 2004-2008 version

My advise is get the work done in a Indy garage, especially for a 7 year old car. €485+vat= €600 + €175 labour, feck, nearly €800?

Dont go back there.

A decent Indy will be able to diagnose it correctly rather than throwing parts into it and hope for the best.

Oh and get the turbo actuator pressure checked, it should only be small money

Advertisement