Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring Barna type shed

Options
  • 11-02-2015 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi Folks,

Im dropping a barna type shed down the end of the garden,
    It's pre-wired with basic breaker board with lighting circuit (3 lights), socket circuit
    (3 double sockets.).

I want the capacity to run one or two convector type heaters....no more than 2000w each.

Run from the board in the house is approx. 90ft,

Looking for advice on cabling options.

My options for cabling are buried armour cabling.... 6mm sufficient?
    Also have wooden panel fence with concrete uprights running length of garden.... any opinions on running metal conduit along that a few feet up from ground.....

I'm only considering that for speed of installation, long term I'll run a trench to send water supply there too.

Any advice appreciated..... and recommendations for swa suppliers too!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Either option would be possible. 4.5kW is under 20A so actually for a 30m run you could use 2.5mm cable and still have a volt drop of less than 5V. I would probably use 4mm though in case of any future requirements.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Glencree wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Im dropping a barna type shed down the end of the garden,
    It's pre-wired with basic breaker board with lighting circuit (3 lights), socket circuit
    (3 double sockets.).

I want the capacity to run one or two convector type heaters....no more than 2000w each.

Run from the board in the house is approx. 90ft,

Looking for advice on cabling options.

My options for cabling are buried armour cabling.... 6mm sufficient?
    Also have wooden panel fence with concrete uprights running length of garden.... any opinions on running metal conduit along that a few feet up from ground.....

I'm only considering that for speed of installation, long term I'll run a trench to send water supply there too.

Any advice appreciated..... and recommendations for swa suppliers too!!!

Remember the total permissible volt drop is 4% of the nominal voltage. This works out at 9.2 volts.
    This combined volt drop calculation should include the calculated volt drop from:
    1) The ESB meter to the main distribution board.
    2) The main distribution board to the sub distribution board (if applicable)
    3) The board to the distribution board in the shed.
    4) The distribution board in the shed to the end of the worst case final circuit when fully loaded.

It is not possible to answer your question without calculating all of the other volt drop calculations.

Generally the minimum size cable for a run such as this is at least a 3 x 6 sq. SWA.

Advertisement