Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recieved monster broadband bill then got contract got cancelled

Options
  • 11-02-2015 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I signed up for a new contract with my internet provider over the phone in November. I had previously been on a 10 gb per month for 20 euro but i wasnt charged for excess data usage. I was told i could move up to 15 gb for the same price. Obviously i should have been more wary but i signed up for it anyway, thinking it was an improvement on the previous deal. I never recieved written confirmation of the new contract. The contract is for 18 months.

I received a text on the 9/01 that there was a balance outstanding of 627.37. Another text a few days later that my account was suspended. I rang up and they told me that i was using 30 gb per month. I the requested a list of the charges to be sent out to me. I also asked for a phone recording of the original call where they sold me the contract. They said a manager would ring me back and play the recording to me but this never happened. Then 2 days later i got a call from a collections company telling me that my contract had been terminated and my bill was now standing at 925 euro. can they do that? They are breaking the agreement not me, so why am i being charged. My heads in a bit of a muddle from all this and i would appreciate any advice on how to proceed from here, thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    I signed up for a new contract with my internet provider over the phone in November. I had previously been on a 10 gb per month for 20 euro but i wasnt charged for excess data usage. I was told i could move up to 15 gb for the same price. The contract is for 18 months.

So, you signed up for an 18 month contract with a 15gb limit? You checked the rest of the terms and conditions, right? Or did you just make assumptions?
    I received a text on the 9/01 that there was a balance outstanding of 627.37. Another text a few days later that my account was suspended. I rang up and they told me that i was using 30 gb per month. Then 2 days later i got a call from a collections company telling me that my contract had been terminated and my bill was now standing at 925 euro. can they do that? They are breaking the agreement not me, so why am i being charged.

Not sure how you think they are breaking the agreement.

You used approx 30gb. So, you have a 15gb limit, and you used 15gb more. I am sure in their terms and conditions (usually detailed on their website), there would be a specified charge per mb above your limit. So, you are liable for that cost. Then since you continued to use the account, without payment, they deemed that you continued to breach the limit and contract, so they terminated your contract.

Nothing wrong with what they have done, and you would be liable for the charged, from your contract, data usage, and then possibly a contract termination fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I think you need to see the contract you 'signed' up to before you do anything.
    When you found out they were charging for excess data, did you continue to use >15gb?
    Just trying to figure out how the bill went up over 300 after you found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Paulw wrote: »
    So, you signed up for an 18 month contract with a 15gb limit? You checked the rest of the terms and conditions, right? Or did you just make assumptions?

Not sure how you think they are breaking the agreement.

You used approx 30gb. So, you have a 15gb limit, and you used 15gb more. I am sure in their terms and conditions (usually detailed on their website), there would be a specified charge per mb above your limit. So, you are liable for that cost. Then since you continued to use the account, without payment, they deemed that you continued to breach the limit and contract, so they terminated your contract.

Nothing wrong with what they have done, and you would be liable for the charged, from your contract, data usage, and then possibly a contract termination fee.

Thanks for the reply, Paul. yes you are correct, I didnt read the terms and conditions, I did assume it would be the same terms and conditions as my previous plan which had expired a few months earlier. I dont understand why they would put me on a plan for 15gb if they knew I was using 30gb. Even though it may be legal its very unethical behaviour from this company and considering I was a good customer for over 6 years. I admit i was busy and not fully concentrating when the phone call happened so I probably just heard 15gb for the same price and said fire ahead. They probably rely on catching people out like that. Anyway, I guess ill chalk it down to experience. Also, i think excess data charges need to be capped like in other countries. Thanks for the help.

dobsdave wrote: »
    I think you need to see the contract you 'signed' up to before you do anything.
    When you found out they were charging for excess data, did you continue to use >15gb?
    Just trying to figure out how the bill went up over 300 after you found out.

a few days after i got the first big bill, they suspened my account so i couldnt use it anyway, then a few weeks later, they terminated my contract. This all happened in the space of a month. The extra 300 im told is the cancellation fee of the remaining 16 months of the contract, which they cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

a few days after i got the first big bill, they suspened my account so i couldnt use it anyway, then a few weeks later, they terminated my contract. This all happened in the space of a month. The extra 300 im told is the cancellation fee of the remaining 16 months of the contract, which they cancelled.

The T&Cs may stipulate that they can cancel the contract if you fail to pay.

• Advertisement

davo10 wrote: »
    The T&Cs may stipulate that they can cancel the contract if you fail to pay.

You're probably right. But they didnt give me much chance to pay either.I mean, not everyone can just pull 600 euro out of the sky. They knew they had me so they stuck the boot in.

You're probably right. But they didnt give me much chance to pay either.I mean, not everyone can just pull 600 euro out of the sky. They knew they had me so they stuck the boot in.

No they didn't, they expect you to pay for a service you used as per your contract. I'm sure if you paid it in full they would reinstate your service.

No they didn't, they expect you to pay for a service you used as per your contract. I'm sure if you paid it in full they would reinstate your service.

Right. Guess Id better hold up my end of the bargain then.Don't want to let anybody down.

Right. Guess Id better hold up my end of the bargain then.Don't want to let anybody down.

Get the contract, read it.
    Get the copy of the conversation on disk and see what what said and by whom.
    The whole thing seems a bit harsh.

Get the contract, read it.
    Get the copy of the conversation on disk and see what what said and by whom.
    The whole thing seems a bit harsh.

Harsh in what way? OP went over the data quota he/she signed up for and provider wants to be paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

You'll only get harsh replys posting on boards.

Sure everyone reads the 10 million page terms and conditions.

And if you were using on average your 10gb a month how did it jump to 30gb in one month?

My friend on his mobile phone owed over 200 to Vodafone because he went over his allowance, somehow he managed to rack up 10gb of data in a day while sitting at home on his WiFi. He never fought it as I told him to and just paid for the extra 5gb used.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Luke92 wrote: »
    And if you were using on average your 10gb a month how did it jump to 30gb in one month?

The OP only said they were on a 10gb contract, not that they only used 10gb a month. It is possible that the previous 10gb contract didn't charge for usage above the 10gb, for some reason. Maybe they just never enforced the extra charges, but when the OP moved to the new contract, the automated billing system caught the extra usage, and billed accordingly, and also sent a notification to custmer care.

Harsh in what way? OP went over the data quota he/she signed up for and provider wants to be paid.

If you get off your high horse for a moment.
    You will see the provider wants to be paid for what has been used and an extra 300 for the rest of the contract that they are terminating.
    A 600 euro odd bill for 2 months internet seems a bit harsh also.
    It seems from the OP that the first request for payment was sent 5 weeks ago, to which the op asked for additional info.
    OP did you say you weren't going to pay it at any stage?

You will see the provider wants to be paid for what has been used and an extra 300 for the rest of the contract that they are terminating.
    It seems from the OP that the first request for payment was sent 5 weeks ago, to which the op asked for additional info.

There is no high horse, only a contract for a certain amount of data and acknowledgement from the OP that he/she went over it by a considerable margin. The provider is quite rightly entitled to request payment and by not paying it the OP has effectively refused. It's not "harsh" if the OP used it and that seems not to be in dispute.

If the OP was watching a streaming service like Netflix, you would be amazed how quickly you can run up that amount of data. Low data plans for browsing usage are cheap but if you are going to watch streamed video then you need an unlimited plan which obviously costs more.

Well I can't pay it, in full. I could do maybe monthly repayments but considering its for a service i wont be using, and they chose to cancel without my knowing, you mite not blame me for not wanting to pay. I also felt i was missold the product. I should have been put on the 30gb. I have requested a recording of the phonecall where they rang me but i havent heard from them. next day my bill was transferred to collections. My usage didnt change since i started the contract was changed, so i was always using in and around 30gb. Dont know why i wasnt charged before so yeah, i need to see the original agreements.

Edit: In the old contract to the best of my knowledge i was only charged minimal amounts for going over the data, it would rarely be more than a few euro extra a month

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I would say your data usage did change otherwise your monthly bill would have been 600 euro a month for the past 18 months. As much as these excess usage fees are extortionate, it is your responsibility to control your usage. Even the old contracts have extortionate fees.

I had one of those prepay ones for a week. I bought my 7.5GB monthly pass and started watching Netflix. Within 48 hours my 7.5GB was used. I couldnt believe it so I checked my data usage history (which you should have also) and sure enough 2.5/3.5 GB per day. Id recommend talking to your provider but staying away from mobile broadband if you wish to use an audio or video streaming service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Luke92 wrote: »
    Sure everyone reads the 10 million page terms and conditions..

Only fools don't read terms and conditions for loans, services etc they sign up to that involve money.

At the end of the day the terms and conditions outline both your rights and responsibilities and the company's rights and responsibilities , if you choose not to read them and the company then follows through on its rights and you get upset or surprised you've only yourself to blame.

This is all very very basic stuff that's covered in 1st/2nd year business studies in secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

I think in cases like this its not that your penalised because you went over your limit...rather than charge you double for doubling your limit they <SNIP> you with these scandalous charges that's the issue...I'm sure we can all agree on that...an xtra 30 euro charge would have sufficed ... typical Ireland though.... probably bigger charge than those extortionate money lenders charge..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

any chance this is outstanding charges from going over the allocation on the original contract? Maybe their billing system only picked this up when you changed contract.

Might be worth your while checking your data usage history...if it has always been 30gb as you think, then yes you could well have a case for them misspelling you the contact (as they should have this information at hand when trying to sell you a contract).

daheff wrote: »
    any chance this is outstanding charges from going over the allocation on the original contract? Maybe their billing system only picked this up when you changed contract.

Might be worth your while checking your data usage history...if it has always been 30gb as you think, then yes you could well have a case for them misspelling you the contact (as they should have this information at hand when trying to sell you a contract).

No its not that. I saw the list of data charges they sent out to me already. Most of the data was used watching youtube videos. I watch lots of docs/movies and listen to most of my music on youtube. Guess I'd better find a less expensive way of doing it. I recently moved into a new gaff where the is upc broadband unlimited so it shouldnt be a problem anymore.

Going back to an earlier post there about reading terms and conditions..yes of course one should always read the terms and conditions but why would they ring someone to upgrade their contract but have new terms and conditions? This should have been highlighted clearly to me imo that my new contract has different stipulations about data usage.Its pretty careless upselling on their part if not downright sneaky. Thats why i need a recording of the phonecall to hear exactly what was said/wasnt said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement