Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a grant as a mature student

Options
  • 11-02-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi there, just wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation?
    I'm a 25 year old male living in Australia since February 2014. I applied through the Cao for college in Ireland at Christmas when I was back home. What are my chances of getting a grant as a mature independent student for the 2015/16 academic year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

ozjim wrote: »
    Hi there, just wondering if anybody has been in a similar situation?
    I'm a 25 year old male living in Australia since February 2014. I applied through the Cao for college in Ireland at Christmas when I was back home. What are my chances of getting a grant as a mature independent student for the 2015/16 academic year?

Do you not have to prove habitual residency, and meet income requirements for 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ozjim

Not entirely sure about that ?
    It says be a resident for 3 out of 5 years?

The income requirements are very strict for 2014 anyway (all proofs of income for the year are required). And yeah I'm sure you have to prove habitual residency, my brother has lived here for years but had murder proving it.

Ye maybe so . I can provide everything from australia? I'm just not sure whether I'm eligible as I've worked here for 1 year now. Maybe I'll just wait and see. 😀

Yeah, "3 out of 5 years" is definitely open to interpretation. You probably are better off waiting. They'll ask for your Australian documentation for sure, but as long as you have everything, and you can prove you've severed ties to Australia (closed bank accounts etc), I reckon you'd have a good case. Especially as it's only been a year.

• Advertisement

Thanks jay for info.
    Does the grant cover the college fee of 3000 euro I think?

ozjim wrote: »
    Thanks jay for info.
    Does the grant cover the college fee of 3000 euro I think?

Yeah the grant will be covered, and you may also receive maintenance to live on. Depending on your income last year. Definitely worth fighting for though, especially if you live independently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

For the grant do you not need proof of residency for the month of October the year before you start college?

I thought that you had to show you were living independently from the October before but not sure if you have to show you were living in Ireland? The way I read it was if you are going as a mature independent student which I am as I have been living away from my home address in Ireland? Very confusing stuff!? :)

Advertisement