Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re - Probation Worry

Options
  • 11-02-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice.

I am in my current role 5 months, a new manager started 2 months back & took an instant dislike to me, always commenting walking by etc, I asked for a headset 4 weeks back & I was called a 'tart' for wanting one.

Back in the middle of December I was given a list of objectives to complete within the department and the manager would test me on it, all went well, he also 'noted' my internet use and asked me to sign the company internet & IT policy which I did, I did not in any way ever abuse the internet , mainly used during breaks.

2 weeks ago I was moved into a different role than 1 I was hired for, my position was advertised within the company & filled, I was literally told on the Friday & moved on the Monday.

Fast forward to Monday & I was brought into the office with said manager for a meeting with himself and a company rep (happens to be a person who would be very close to my manager, she was just taking notes) I was told my internet usage is still the same and that my manager himself said he 'spied' on me from behind (my desk is onfront of a door, so if ppl are going canteen etc they can see my PC, you can look at my PC via this window) I was sent home & told 'I would be contacted by letter'

I was told by 1 of my colleagues yesterday that the said manager sent an email to all staff saying I was no longer with the company ? even before another meeting.

I got a letter this morning asking me attend a meeting tomorrow with my manager again and the same company rep.

I assume that because I am on probation they will fire me ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

Were you looking anything up online during work hours that he might be able to get you fired for?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Karbolt wrote: »
    Were you looking anything up online during work hours that he might be able to get you fired for?

Not at all, news sites , football sites etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Not at all, news sites , football sites etc .

This may seem harsh, but if your company's IT policy explicitly states Internet usage is only for work purposes, unless your work involves browsing news and football sites, you may well be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I assume that because I am on probation they will fire me ?

I hate to say this but it sounds like that is the way they may be going.

Write down everything that has gone on between you and all levels of management to date.

Check your company's IT policy and ensure that you have complied with it in full. Bring any notes you have on the type of sites you have accessed, and the times you have done so.

Ask for a witness to be present at any and all disciplinary meetings from now on, that can be a union rep if you have one or a colleague (but not a solicitor). You are entitled to this is you are being disciplined.

Familiarise yourself with your company's disciplinary procedures, and ensure that you are given every opportunity to avail yourself of any protection it may give you.

As you are on probation you have limited right to unfair dismissal protection, however other employment legislation is still available to you for protection (such as various Industrial Relations Acts) and you may make a complaint to Workplace Relations under such legislation if you so wish. Failure by your employer to follow their own disciplinary procedures and to give you a fair hearing can be viewed negatively by a Rights Commissioner (though their findings may not be legally enforceable should your employer refuse to engage)

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the advice, I have everything written down for the meeting tomorrow.

Apart from anything else even though the meeting is tomorrow, my manager already sent an email to the staff yesterday informing them that 'I am gone from the company'

I am thinking tomorrow is just to get rid of me as the decision has been made going by the above anyway so no chance of a fair meeting tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

How did it go today?

Karbolt wrote: »
    How did it go today?

Let go within a few minutes, had all internet usage printed out, along with personal emails, nothing in them at all, just to family members etc. Was in breach of IT policy. Very disapointing. New manager there 2 months and obviously wanted to send a message.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Let go within a few minutes, had all internet usage printed out, along with personal emails, nothing in them at all, just to family members etc. Was in breach of IT policy. Very disapointing. New manager there 2 months and obviously wanted to send a message.

I'd take it as a lesson to learn and be cognisant of in your next role. IT policies are not there to be ignored.

How come you were so unaware of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd take it as a lesson to learn and be cognisant of in your next role. IT policies are not there to be ignored.

How come you were so unaware of it?

I'm not trying kick someone when they're down, but in the OP it state that Internet usage was brought up in a meeting in December, so it was pretty much flagged then. I think the op was a bit foolish to be using the net for things other than work, even if they were pretty harmless sites like news etc. I mean, if it had been flagged in December they had been monitoring his usage, and asked them to sign the company's IT policy, they have nobody to blame but themselves.

It may well be a case a new manager was making an example, but they made themselves an easy example to be made of.

As Stheno has said, learn from this and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP - sorry to hear you've been let go.

The co. seems to have behaved unreasonably. I suspect smokers are allowed go for smoke-breaks etc without sanction, but 10 mins on the RTE site = Armageddon!

Unfortunately, it's done now. The meeting in December was a big hint re internet usage, but perhaps they'd have found another excuse anyway.

You're probably better off out of there.

BOL with the job hunt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement