Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weee charges

Options
  • 11-02-2015 2:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

weee charges

so I went to Ballinasloe recycling and Civic Amenity Site today to drop of an old fridge.
    I also had some old kettles and toasters, all electrical.

I was a bit surprised to see a sign at the gate saying e5 for a trailer and e3.50 for a car.
    my understanding was, when I bought the items a levy for recycling was already added on to the cost.

I do know when I buy a fridge that the retailer had to take the old one back if i wish, but it seems
    if I go to the bother of dropping it off to the recycling centre myself, I get charged twice.

as far as I know Ballinasloe recycling and Civic Amenity Site is not a private company,
    but run by Galway county council.
    can they charge for this or am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭brian_t

dvae wrote: »
    weee charges

I was a bit surprised to see a sign at the gate saying e5 for a trailer and e3.50 for a car.

Those charges would have been for general household waste.

If you told the man at the gate that you only had weee items you would not have been charged.
    Members of the general public can bring their WEEE products for recycling to any of our Recycling Centres free of charge
    http://www.galway.ie/en/services/environment/wastemanagement/weee/

The link below is for Ballymount Civic Amenity in Dublin.

It explains in detail what waste can be brought there free of charge and what waste there is a charge for.

I can't find a similar page for Galway County Council but I'd say the same principle applies.

http://www.sdcc.ie/services/recycling-waste/recycling-centres

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

brian_t wrote: »
    Those charges would have been for general household waste.

If you told the man at the gate that you only had weee items you would not have been charged.

the guy at the gate told me "that's what they charge". he even came out and looked in to my trailer to see what I had.
    and for what ever reason, he took some old cables and a couple of car batteries that I had, and brought them off in to his hut.
    in the end I had to pay the e5.

edit: just looking at their site, and it should of been free. http://www.repak.ie/recycling_facility_detail.php?id=795
    wonder why there is a e5 entrance fee when every thing in there is individually priced.
    from what I remember, e5 double mattress e2.50 single mattress, and e5 euro for 5 paint tins and .75c per tin there after.

I regularly bring stuff to Ballymount and have never been charged.

The fella at the gate gives you a docket with €0.00 on it.

I would ring Galway Co Co and query it. They should give you your fiver back.

wonder why there is a e5 entrance fee when every thing in there is individually priced.
    from what I remember, e5 double mattress e2.50 single mattress, and e5 euro for 5 paint tins and .75c per tin there after.

I suppose the mattress is bulkey and harder to dispose of and the paints would be classed as Hazardous Waste.

The €5 would be for general waste.

I don't know why they charge for recycling metal though. You get paid if you bring it directly to a scrap merchant.

• Advertisement

and for what ever reason, he took some old cables and a couple of car batteries that I had, and brought them off in to his hut.
    brian_t wrote: »
    You get paid if you bring it directly to a scrap merchant.

...go figure. whistling.gif

I want my WEE charges back I recycle/reuse my own stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Have they started charging for WEE recycling (or some of it ) now as well though . Sure I heard that a while back , the recycling was being funded by the levy on new stuff - but because of the down turn not so much new stuff was being sold and loads was being scrapped -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Have they started charging for WEE recycling (or some of it ) -

No but - NOTE: A vehicle containing both free & charged items will be treated as chargeable.

http://www.sdcc.ie/services/recycling-waste/recycling-centres

Advertisement