Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera phone vs good compact

Options
  • 10-02-2015 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hey guys. I'm going travelling in June for a couple of months and I'm looking for a camera to take with me. I'll be backpacking so space will be tight enough.

I was going to get a good compact camera but is the picture quality that much better than a good camera phone to take up extra space. At the moment I have an LG G2 but I was half thinking of getting a Lumia 1020 if it would be worth it.

I know the compact camera will be better but would it be that much better to take up space as well as having another gadget to look after in hostels etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Have a wee Sony Cybershot (TX) it's smaller than a pack of fegs!
    Cost only 30 bob from CEX inc. warranty.
    Few still on gumtree/adverts also.

Does 720p HD, Exmor CMOS for low light, 10.2mpx, x5 optical via Zuess lens, 10fps burst, touch-screen, intelligent settings, micro, face recgn, it even has underwater w/b mode.
    And this is an old model, newer ones totally loaded, fits in a shirt pocket.

Couple of spare 945m Ah batteries from Amzn at just 4bob each too.
    The Nikon stays in the SLR case a lot more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It all depends on your expectations and what you want to shoot with them. Without knowing how you will be using them most advice will be meaningless. Personally I travel with a DSLR and associated kit, plus a compact and my phone. Have used all of them at different times, but my needs are going to be very different from yours.

Are you happy with the results you get from your phone now?

What can you not do with your phone now that a compact would do?

Can you not set off on your trip with the phone and if it becomes limiting then get a camera along the way? Many places abroad will have the same of better prices than you get in Ireland anyway.

Technically a compact will generally have a slightly larger sensor than a phone. They will also have a better lens and zoom range. This will mean an increase in quality and there will be more functionality, but for general happy snaps this may not be worth carrying the extra device and the expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Thanks for the replies guys. I don't think there is much that I cannot do with the phone that I can do with a compact really. It's more the quality of the images I'd be concerned about.

If you could recommend a small DSLR for good value I might have a look. However I'll be travelling for the best part of a year and hhaving a big camera could make me a prime target for mugging I feel.

I will be travelling through Patagonia, the Amazon and possibly the Galapagos so I would like to have a camera that does these areas justice. Again the the security concerns and the bulkiness of a DSLR that are putting me off

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Most regulars here will have different needs from a compact than you will have. For instance many here would require RAW capture on a small camera as they will want to post process images. Being able to shoot manual would also be a major consideration. I doubt that these would be on your list of requirements.

Like I said before you need to find something which will fit your needs rather than what suits other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

CabanSail wrote: »
    Most regulars here will have different needs from a compact than you will have. For instance many here would require RAW capture on a small camera as they will want to post process images. Being able to shoot manual would also be a major consideration. I doubt that these would be on your list of requirements.

Like I said before you need to find something which will fit your needs rather than what suits other people.

+1 to this.

e.g. On a proper decent long holiday i bring a full frame camera with a few lens's, tripod & various filters.
    I also bring a fuji 100x which has a fixed 35mm lens
    I also have my phone.

I use all three.
    For many, a backpack with full frame, tripod, few heavy lens's & assorted bits would be overkill.
    For me, it is the setup that can deliver super high quality images of everything, but particularly of landscapes and cityscapes when used properly. One look at the results and its worth luging around, for me.

Also for many the fuji 100x with its fixed 35mm lens would be completely useless as many people value pocketables with super zoom built in.
    For me its my go to camera if just heading out and not sure where im going. Its super sharp, unobtrusive and makes me work my subjects a bit more. I just love the thing.

So if you were me, id recommend that, but youre not me, so as Cabinsail said, its hugely dependant on you and what you want to do.

Try getting to use a few cameras from some friends. borrow a SLR, a super pocketable, a bridge with super zoom and go around the city for a few hours with each. see what fits you best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

A camera like a Sony rx100 would give you carry-ability and very high quality images and can be purchased at a reasonable rice now as there are a couple of updates to it more recently. It's the camera I bring on holidays usually and it's fantastic for stills and video.

Myksyk wrote: »
    A camera like a Sony rx100...

Agree these wee Sony 'ultra-compacts' are slim, cheap and good spec. Best of all spare batteries can be got for a few pennies, difficult to do with iPhone6 etc. They also have tripod mounts underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Thanks for all the replies, some good sound advice there. Think I might do as Fret Wimp said and try out a few cameras that my friends have. Defo think I wont be going for a DSLR. Even though I'd love it for the pictures I couldn't imagine taking it from place to place while travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Check out the tiny Panasonic Lumix cams, GM1 and GM5. Micro-four-thirds system.

To get the true advantage of a DSLR you need more than just the camera. The quality comes more from the ability to control the image and more options in post production than just the quality of the files.

You can also go into some camera shops with good reputations and get their advice. If you like a model then look up the reviews on sites like DP Review to see what they say. Beware, some sales people will just try to sell what's good for them.

In the end it's like buying a car. It has to suit YOUR needs and be within YOUR budget.

• Advertisement

When i was picking up that link for DPreview I saw this Ricoh Rugged Compact which ticks a fair few boxes for a travel camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The camera will be switched off until you need it. Not taking a photo as you only have 5% battery left on your phone, and you need that 5% in case you need to ring someone. Depending on the phone, it may not have the ability to insert extra memory cards into it.

If using a camera, ensure you always have a spare fully charged battery for it.

Worth also downgrading your mobile to one that can only be used, strangely enough, as a phone.

e.g. x6 small Samsung clam-shell ones (that's x5 spare batteries) can be got for the price of an old battered used iphone3/4.
    That's 60 days of juice and no unexpected 3G roaming bills.

If you're lucky enough to find the matrix1 Nokia 8110, $$$ bingo!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kevcol wrote: »
    I have an LG G2 but I was half thinking of getting a Lumia 1020 if it would be worth it.
    I have the 1020 and it's been a huge disappointment, I had upgraded from the 920 which was one of the best phones I've ever owned so I was expecting good things. The 920 is like an old school Nokia phone, you could almost hammer in nails with it. The 1020 is the most fragile phone I've ever owned, it's a pure mess.

The windows phones do tend to have good cameras and good camera software. You get the full range of settings and options, I think they even capture raw on top of the jpeg.

Phones eat batteries though, most phones these days are sealed too, so there's no option to swap batteries. A smart phone with a good camera would make a great backup camera, you wouldn't notice a big drop in the quality of photos if you started using one but I think depending on it as your main camera would turn into a bit of a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

ScumLord wrote: »
    I have the 1020 and it's been a huge disappointment, I had upgraded from the 920 which was one of the best phones I've ever owned so I was expecting good things. The 920 is like an old school Nokia phone, you could almost hammer in nails with it. The 1020 is the most fragile phone I've ever owned, it's a pure mess.

The windows phones do tend to have good cameras and good camera software. You get the full range of settings and options, I think they even capture raw on top of the jpeg.

Phones eat batteries though, most phones these days are sealed too, so there's no option to swap batteries. A smart phone with a good camera would make a great backup camera, you wouldn't notice a big drop in the quality of photos if you started using one but I think depending on it as your main camera would turn into a bit of a nightmare.

Are you sure you have a 1020 ? I did the same upgrade as you and I don't find the 1020 any less robust. the worst thing about the 1020 though is the fact that it makes every other phone's camera look like sh!t. Better than most compact P&S too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

PaulieC wrote: »
    Are you sure you have a 1020 ? I did the same upgrade as you and I don't find the 1020 any less robust. the worst thing about the 1020 though is the fact that it makes every other phone's camera look like sh!t. Better than most compact P&S too.
    No you're right, it's the 930.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭nokiatom

I love the Lumia 1020 and the camera is great. you can also set it to take DNG (raw file) but im not a professional photographer so I don't use DNG. Video is also great as the camera has stabilisers

Advertisement