Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of Deposit.

Options
  • 10-02-2015 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

So im moving out in two days and my landlord says shel meet me this weekend and have a look around my room to see if its all clean. But she said we'l talk about any outstanding bills that may be left.

Now the last bill only came in like 3 weeks ago and i paid it so what grounds does she have to keep any of my deposit for a bill that hasnt even come yet?

I gave my notice a month ago so just wondering what the deal is?

She doesnt seem to be a registered Landlord according to the PRTB.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Akarinn wrote: »
    So im moving out in two days and my landlord says shel meet me this weekend and have a look around my room to see if its all clean. But she said we'l talk about any outstanding bills that may be left.

Now the last bill only came in like 3 weeks ago and i paid it so what grounds does she have to keep any of my deposit for a bill that hasnt even come yet?

Thanks
    well for a start the last 3 weeks of bills any damage not considered wear as tear, why are you leaving?
    How long have you been a tenant?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The landlord won't be liable for the bills if they're in your name so wouldn't be justified in withholding the deposit, who's name are they in?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

I lost my job and cant afford my double room anymore.

There is an empty single room in the same house but she said "she has other plans for" so i cant even move into that one. Il be in the house 1 year from the start of next month so its a long time to be told nah sorry cant have that room. Im the only one who has stayed here the whole year, people have come and gone regularly. All the bills shes claims that may be outstanding are Gas/Electricity which are all in her name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Sounds like you're trying to find any excuse to not pay your outstanding bills.

All this other stuff about single rooms and one year's rental etc. are irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Ah, so it's a rent-a-room situation, well if you take the meter readings as you leave you'll be able to calculate your liability and settle it there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Thanks

You've used three weeks of gas and electricity so you gave to pay your share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I lost my job and cant afford my double room anymore.

There is an empty single room in the same house but she said "she has other plans for" so i cant even move into that one. Il be in the house 1 year from the start of next month so its a long time to be told nah sorry cant have that room. Im the only one who has stayed here the whole year, people have come and gone regularly. All the bills shes claims that may be outstanding are Gas/Electricity which are all in her name.

I sympathise but what is the exact circumstance of the arrangement? Does the owner live there or not?
    Either way it doesn't sound like you are giving a reasonable notice, but you'd still be considered to have to pay the bills for the last three weeks or your share of the bills since then.

Advertisement