Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revision Books- Advice Please

Options
  • 10-02-2015 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all,

First off I am aware that there are many threads on this already, however personally a
    new thread would be beneficial to ask about my specific needs as well as to get the most up to date info, mods if you disagree my apologies and please delete.

I'm looking at purchasing books for the following, I'll give a little detail on what I'm looking for from each subject. (ALL HL)

Physics- I had a look at the revise wise recently and think I'll go for solely based on the experiment section if anyone has any other advice, please let me know.

Spanish- No idea what to go for here, I had revise wise for JC and found the vocab list great, if there is anything similar with a list of vocab that would be great.

Irish- Again no idea what to go for

Maths-Is there anything available for the LC 2016, with the course changes?

English- Is it worth getting one?

Applied maths- Does one exist/ worth buying?

Thanks very much in advance for all replies, I really appreciate advice from anyone who can help:)!!

Gulf57

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

For Maths, I would wait for the 2016 editions. There have been changes to the Stats and Probability section and AFAIK, they are not included in the Revise Wise for 2015.

For Physics, I use Folens ExamEdge by Dan O' Regan, its okay, I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. I use it more for reference than anything. I like it because it goes through calculations for different experiments and so on.
    Also, the physics teacher . ie is the best source of notes.

The best way to revise is by making your own notes, these revision books are okay but I find that my own notes suffice and I am doing fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gulfstream757

Thanks for your reply!! I'll take a look at that one for physics, do you find the real world physics good? I find that its generally excellent for experiments definitions and maths, but for real world applications and more obscure knowledge it can be lacking in my opinion, however apparently O'Regan is involved in setting the exam so perhaps the questions are more geared towards the book itself.

Thanks again!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Thanks for your reply!! I'll take a look at that one for physics, do you find the real world physics good? I find that its generally excellent for experiments definitions and maths, but for real world applications and more obscure knowledge it can be lacking in my opinion, however apparently O'Regan is involved in setting the exam so perhaps the questions are more geared towards the book itself.

Thanks again!!!!!

I don't use the textbook for school, only ever the revision book. Although my teacher was talking about revision books for Physics and he thought the ExamEdge was the best available.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lizzyod

you can order revise wise online i think

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

I have revise wise for irish (higher) and its absolutely terrible do not waste your money on it the notes are nowhere near good enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Less Stress More Success is very good for higher maths. Got lot of examples and highlights the key info. Doesn't have all the probability but has an online supplement for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gulfstream757

OMGeary wrote: »
    Less Stress More Success is very good for higher maths. Got lot of examples and highlights the key info. Doesn't have all the probability but has an online supplement for that.
    Thanks!! Doews it come with questions or just examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

For physics, I use a course content book, a small handout which offers precise notes on everything the curriculum can throw at you. Very beneficial for experiments as well.

For applied maths, I'd say just try find older books, the best revision you can do is just questions.

As someone else said, the best way to revise is note taking, and I use my few revision books just to write notes on.

Generally speaking, revision books can be quite disillusional, oftentimes they may leave out some pieces that can come up. I don't really like them that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Thanks!! Doews it come with questions or just examples?
    It's like examples of questions from papers and stuff and how to answer them.
    Also for applied maths thephysicsteacher.ie is brilliant, it has notes and solutions to exam questions from like the 70's onwards.

Advertisement