Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suggest a good mitre box and saw for 45 degree cuts

Options
  • 10-02-2015 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

I've to do a pile of architrave in my house (both sides of 7 doors).

I've an electric chop saw (lidl job). Its not accurate. Tried calibrating it but the real problem is no matter what angle you turn the plate to, there seem to be a little bit of play in the arm meaning the cut can go off no matter what.

So.... im thinking i might cut them manually.
    Can you recommend a good mitre box or saw or guide rail or even a good technique for the job.

I'm thinking i might paint the architrave white anyway but i appreciate a nice neat 45 degree join and hate using filler.
    Id be willing to spend about 50 or 60 quid.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,237 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Any box will do as long as u have the right saw, say a tenon saw with a fine cut and no set on the blade.
    Th trick is to have everything clamped up and level and tight and that the saw can cut through the piece without the stiffening back preventing the blade from cutting all the way down, putting a waste piece underneath will help.
    Obviously the deeper and wider the box and the deeper the blade the better.
    Stanley make a decent one

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Jimmy_M wrote: »
    I've to do a pile of architrave in my house (both sides of 7 doors).

I've an electric chop saw (lidl job). Its not accurate. Tried calibrating it but the real problem is no matter what angle you turn the plate to, there seem to be a little bit of play in the arm meaning the cut can go off no matter what.

So.... im thinking i might cut them manually.
    Can you recommend a good mitre box or saw or guide rail or even a good technique for the job.

I'm thinking i might paint the architrave white anyway but i appreciate a nice neat 45 degree join and hate using filler.
    Id be willing to spend about 50 or 60 quid.

Cheers

Nobex mitre saws are excellent but might not fit with your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Jimmy_M

Yeah they look the business alright. but i think id be half way to a decent electric one for that price (just did a quick google - 196 euro on handyhardware.ie)

Cheers for the replies - think ill go with a decent stanley box and a good tenon saw (dont have one at all) - ill find use for them again for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Metabo have a saw on special at the moment for e160. Not a bad saw and should last a lifetime if minded. The problem with Aldi stuff is the bush ions and bearings are dirt and they won't hold through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Axminster have a basic Nobex saw for £41.95.
    They have a fine blade so very little chance of spelching. If you do buy a power saw its worth fitting a false fence to get very clean cuts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement