Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gigabit Ethernet Controller speed issue

Options
  • 10-02-2015 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I have a new ASRock B85M motherboard and the specs indicate a Qualcomm Atheros AR8171/8175 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet controller. However, in the Advanced settings for the controller in Device Manager, my speed settings are capped at 100Mbps full duplex, i.e., there is no option to set the speed above 100Mbps. For a gigabit controller I would have expected to have a 1000Mbps option. Any thoughts on what I can do to increase the speed to take advantage of the higher UPC speeds?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Try a different driver,

Try disabling "Energy Efficient Ethernet " in the properties

ajnuz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You've got the wrong driver installed, if the spec sheet is to be believed.
    Realtek® 8111F, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)

Go get the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

ED E wrote: »
    You've got the wrong driver installed, if the spec sheet is to be believed.

Go get the right one.

Not what http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85M/?cat=Specifications says,
    - PCIE x1 Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
    - Qualcomm® Atheros® AR8171
    - Supports Qualcomm® Atheros® Security Wake On Internet Technology
    - Supports Wake-On-LAN
    - Supports Energy Efficient Ethernet 802.3az
    - Supports PXE

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vitony

Thanks for the input and feedback. The Energy Efficient Ethernet was already disabled by default. And it appears that my driver is up to date (using SlimDriver to keep drivers updated). Not sure where to look next for a resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

I don't know - I have some devices which sync at 1Gbps through auto-negotiation but I'm unable to manually select 1Gbps-Full Duplex - only 10/100.

Are you able to get a 1Gbps link if you connect another 1Gbps device?

• Advertisement

unfortunately, I don't have another device with which to try this.

gctest50 wrote: »
    Try a different driver,

Try disabling "Energy Efficient Ethernet " in the properties

gctest50 - I see that your image above has the same Ethernet controller as mine. Do you have an option to set a faster speed under the Speed settings in the Device Manager? Or is your max option 100Mbps Full Duplex?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

1 gig and beyond are auto negotiation only. Set your speed and duplex settings to Auto and connect it to a gigabit enabled switch port. If there is a issue, replace the cable. If there is still a problem, assume there is either a issue with pins in a port or the adapter on either side.

Advertisement