Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on best way to repair bookcase

Options
  • 10-02-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭

My 3.5 year old decided to store some of his Thomas and Friends book collection into a fairly full shelf and managed to push one side of the book case out far enough so that the shelf pins no longer supported the shelf causing it to drop.
    billybookcase_zps48649dd3.jpg

Shelf:

billyshelf_zpsed7a0f2a.jpg

I am thinking of using these cross dowel bolts http://www.ie.screwfix.com/cross-dowel-bolt-m6-x-50mm-pack-of-50.html and these cross dowels http://www.ie.screwfix.com/cross-dowels-m6-x-16mm-pack-of-50.html to pull the book case back into shape, I loose the ability to adjust the height of the shelf but end up with a stronger cabinet.

I am just concerned that I may not be able to achieve the accurate drilling to get the hole for the dowel and cross bolt correct.

Is this the best route to go to repair or are there other fixings that I can consider for a repair?

Thanks

PS the shelf is 18mm chipboard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You will find it a frustrating and difficult job to line the dowel up with the bolt.
    I would invest in one of the many pocket hole jigs. You drill pocket holes in the shelf, position it at the required height and run in four screws at each corner.
    Not the cheapest option but you will find loads of uses for the jig in the future. !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Get 2 pieces of 2 by 1 PAO and screw them so as they let the shelf sit on the 1.Then pull the press back to the correct with and screw shelf dowm into the 2 by 1.
    U can paint the pao if needed.
    Also if 2 by 1 is too small for u to work with u can go bigger
    Keep the chisler, tidy at 3.5, genes from his Ma!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement