Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Comptia a+ worth getting?

Options
  • 10-02-2015 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I just did the ICND1 receiving my CCENT and aiming to do the next ICND2 in a few months.

I was think about also doing the comptia a+ afterwards, to make the career move into more technical support and system engineer roles.

Is it worth getting if a person already has a Computer Science degree and the CCNA?

I had thought about doing the Comptia network+, but from what I heard, the CCNA is harder and is more sought after. So I thought it would be better to get that first.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

In short I'd say no. It would not really be much benefit considering your experience. That being said, it might be worth doing instead of nothing but if there is something else you're looking at then give it a skip. For someone with your knowledge it would be extremely easy to pass and you could self study it very quickly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

I have ccna, comptia a+ and RHCE (Linux Cert),

All of them have a use as you learn from each one. But they all only get you as far as the interview.

Experience tops them all, so get working in IT :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

In your situation, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

L1011 wrote: »
    In your situation, no.

I'd agree with this. Go get your ICND2.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Apparently in the States they make a bigger deal of it than they do here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The A+ mainly covers hands-on computer maintenance. Microsoft and Linux certs would probably be more use if you want to get into tech support and/or system engineering.

The N+ would be utterly pointless for someone with a CCNA.

Advertisement