Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Preparing a bathroom floor for tiling

• 10-02-2015 11:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I have a tiler coming next week and need to prepare a bathroom for tiling.
    It's not a new house but this bathroom was unfinished and left as is by the builders a few years ago.

I've had the plumbing put in place for the shower and the shower tray with waste etc. Plumbing is ready for sink and toilet but they are removed so that the tiler can do the floor in full.

The floor is plywood and there seems to be a bit of give in a few sheets so I suspect I should lay another later of ply on top. Could anyone recommend what size ply I should use and what type of nails etc? I've no clue but would appreciate any advice and I'll give it a lash.

Is there anything else I should do ahead of tiling? Any advice you could offer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,165 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You need to use screws on the floor. Roughly 4 inches apart. Remembering that there could be pipes or cables close to the surface, under the plywood so you need three quarters inch or possibly inch screws.

You should make sure that there is a good quality waterproof seal around the shower tray. Some bad tillers relay on silicon. It's up to you to make sure you have a good seal in place before he starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You need to use screws on the floor. Roughly 4 inches apart. Remembering that there could be pipes or cables close to the surface, under the plywood so you need three quarters inch or possibly inch screws.

You should make sure that there is a good quality waterproof seal around the shower tray. Some bad tillers relay on silicon. It's up to you to make sure you have a good seal in place before he starts.

Thanks, tiler told me to purchase a classic seal and that he would fit it, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

If it were me, I would get a tube of silicone and seal around the shower tray first. Then the tiler can put on the classic seal under the bottom row of tiles onto the shower tray. To be sure, to be sure!

wait4me wrote: »
    If it were me, I would get a tube of silicone and seal around the shower tray first. Then the tiler can put on the classic seal under the bottom row of tiles onto the shower tray. To be sure, to be sure!

Silicone the tray to the wall is it? Then he will put the seal over that and then the tiles over that? Do I have that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,165 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

http://aquastrap.com

You need a seal like the one above. This will never leak. Forget about plastic strips. This is totally invisible, flexible and water proof. This strip is fitted to the shower tray before tiling. You do not put silicon on first for this product.

Any good plumbing trade counter will stock this or a different brand. Heatmerchants, Davies, the shower centre etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

Ah okay just reading the OP now and see that the tray is not yet in place. Sleeper12's aquastrap suggestion looks great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭cletus

Any recommendations on the min thickness ply you can use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

6mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

From reading your first post it seems to me that the shower tray is fitted.Is the shower tray fitted?,if so i cant see how you can fit the classic or aquastrap seal at this stage..,Well not the way they are meant to be fitted anyway

agusta wrote: »
    From reading your first post it seems to me that the shower tray is fitted.Is the shower tray fitted?,if so i cant see how you can fit the classic or aquastrap seal at this stage..,Well not the way they are meant to be fitted anyway

Yes, it's fitted.

• Advertisement

Well i can see how the classic seal can be fitted the way its designed to be fitted.
    If it were me i would be fitting a sealux pro 25 seal with SEALUX SILICONE.Clean shower tray with white spirits before fitting seal.

ps, dont fill between shower tray and wall with silicone..,it achieves nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

agusta wrote: »
    ps, dont fill between shower tray and wall with silicone..,it achieves nothing
    It certainly would not hurt.

I do agree with your recommendation of the Sealux trim. Never had a leak with any I fitted. Would suit OPs situation as the tray is already in place.

dodzy wrote: »
    It certainly would not hurt.

I do agree with your recommendation of the Sealux trim. Never had a leak with any I fitted. Would suit OPs situation as the tray is already in place.
    I agree it certainly wont hurt but i dont see what your gaining.id prefer to buy an extra tube of sealux silicone and pump more than sealux recommend into the seal.When fitting the excess silicone will go into the gap between the tray and the wall

PS id also recommend a tanking kit after the seal is fitted for the shower

Advertisement