Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie hearing aid user

Options
  • 10-02-2015 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Second day of wearing hearing aid! Wow how noisy is the general clatter of the house. I think only way to turn it off it to remove/open battery. I dont want to do that as fear I will damage/lose it if not safely behind ear.

It is a Siemens BTE or 'behind the ear' aid. I only have one as have near perfect hearing in other side. There is a soft tube into ear with a silicone cone at end.. very invisible and easy to wear. The second bit of tubing is called the tail... does this have a function or is it just there to act as a lever to pull out main transmitter?

All questions to be sorted when return to audilogist in few weeks time. She will make more adjustments to it then. I am to wear it for 5 hours a day for the moment.

I occasionally wear spectacles and they are a bit of bother are hit on the hearing aid. I know you can get an aid linked onto the side arm of the glasses but as I dont wear them full time, that would not be practical.

So far so good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,066 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't panic yet! Almost all the things that seem like issues will calm down as you get used to it. Either wear it or take it out and store it safely. Do do the number of hours you need, you will be surprised how the noise will settle down and you will just about be saying 'I think this is not working' by the time you have to go for a check-up (and it can be 'turned up') You will also get used to the glasses/hearing aid - my husband has glasses and hearing aids and oxygen cannulas - his ears are really over-worked! I have a hearing aid and glasses, it isn't a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

Day three and all well. Amazing to hear the car indicator that I used to complain was too quiet. I would not notice if it had not cancelled itself. Enjoyed a class in a big hall and did not have to strain to hear the background music and no trouble chatting to pal. Easy to forget about wearing it.

I read about a 'drying out jar' . I wonder if I should get one in case of accidents? or would a container with collection of silica gel sachets be just as good? I heard of a colleague who accidentally put a pair of aids thru the wash machine when he put them in shirt pocket :eek:

Another group session tonight in more noisy hall/low ceiling, this will be the real test.

Yes she said she would turn it up to optimum level at next visit and activate the volume control I think An amazing device really so tiny and neat.

Another question, are they a bother in airports going thru the security check?

I have a drying out jar that I have never used. I am just careful not to get them wet. I do not put hearing aid in pockets ever. Or wrap in tissues. Carry a box if you think you will have to remove them, though I don't find it necessary. I make a not putting my hearing aid in till after I have had a shower, otherwise its not an issue.

No problem going through security. The only minor issue I find is remembering to take it out when I get my hair cut, so it does not get accidentally snipped! And very occasionally if you pull off a sweater with a bit too much enthusiasm (your own I mean ;) ) you can drag off the hearing aid, but honestly this is not really a problem.

All good now with new hearing aid. :)

I keep a small pill bottle in bag/car to place it in if need to remove when out of house (hair and swim). I am pleased with follow up service from Audiologist... have had two tune up to reach prescription level. She replaced a filter in it ... said it could be done every couple of months. She would do it for no charge. I will get a check up annually also and have loads of batteries as part of 'deal'.

Good to hear things are going well for you cobham, nice to hear that you don't have any problems with it, very reassuring for people who are new to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Gormal

I'm on day 2 and like you Cobham, also finding it LOUD! Just wow, how much stuff you don't hear is really amazing, and you don't really realise it until you get the HA.
    I was supposed to get it programmed for tinnutis, but really, replacing one ringing noise with another is pointless imo, at first she said it was going to be more of a whoosh noise. Perhaps I will change my mind once the ears are used all the 'new' noises.

I do find that the left mould is causing a sore bit in my ear (I've trimmed it a little before it blisters - the mould not the ear ;) ), and the right one might fit too well, there seems to be like a pressure bubble feeling. Which I notice when I'm out walking, I feel like a robot who's lost it's shock absorbers, stomping with each step......lol Is this all part of stuff I have to get used to?

Good to hear of progress! I am afraid I am not much use to you as I have a "behind the ear" device and do not have tinnitus. You have my sympathy with the latter complaint... other half in house has it. I would pester the audiologist to make adjustments to see if it helps but also to give it a while to see if you will get used to level you are set at? Why not try out the tinnitus setting and see how it goes?

As for sore mould :( I wonder if they are all the same softness? I use a mouth guard for grinding teeth and I know there is a selection of materials from more tough to lightweight. I wonder if you can get a better fit? Would warm weather cause some swelling and make for difference? Is the mould made from imprint of your ear?? I would make a nuisance of yourself with audiologist!

I now am able to 'open' the battery cover when still on top of ear and silence the HA when it suits me! I do not have an 'off' setting on my HA as some have.

So far so good, still worry about losing it, so tiny and light, wish I could secure to ear like an earring!

Good luck!:)

I initially had one that was sore - a thing like a tiny thin umberella shape, it seemed too light and frail to do any damage - I had one made from a mould of my ear and it has been fine ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

cobham wrote: »
    I read about a 'drying out jar' . I wonder if I should get one in case of accidents? or would a container with collection of silica gel sachets be just as good?
    Just as good, I'd say. Rice in a closed bag with your electrical goods can also try them out.
    Another group session tonight in more noisy hall/low ceiling, this will be the real test.
    Personally speaking, I found large rooms with an echo bad when wearing two hearing aids. When I only wore one, I don't think I had any issue.
    Another question, are they a bother in airports going thru the security check?
    I take them off, and put them into hearing aid box, and put that into the tray.
    Gormal wrote: »
    I do find that the left mould is causing a sore bit in my ear (I've trimmed it a little before it blisters - the mould not the ear ;) ), and the right one might fit too well, there seems to be like a pressure bubble feeling.
    Perhaps you'll need to have your ear get used to it gradually; an hour one week, two the next, etc. Ask your audiologist if there is a different material? When I had the over the ear hearing aid, I got a less rigid hearing aid that helped my ear get used to the hearing aid. Apart from the main intercom hole, is there any other holes on the mould?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Gormal

I have special moulds because of my allergies, they are soft enough (pure bliss compared to the hard plastic). It's just that a certain part of the mould isn't matching the ear shape and constantly rubs/puts pressure on one wee spot on the left ear, otherwise it would be perfect. AS for the right one, it's a very very tight fit compared to the left and is a job and a half to get it in never mind out.

No only the one hole, which surprised me as I thought there would also be the 'vent' hole. I've been onto the audiologist and am awaiting an appointment/cancellation. I might reconsider the tinnitus program again, on the day all I could hear were the birds singing outside and she was replacing one long beep with another.

Went out to dinner and although it was noisy I could hear every word my other half said, so we're both delighted.
    And I can hear every single word on the tv, instead of one or 2 here and there and having to guess what was going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gormal wrote: »
    No only the one hole, which surprised me as I thought there would also be the 'vent' hole. I've been onto the audiologist and am awaiting an appointment/cancellation. I might reconsider the tinnitus program again, on the day all I could hear were the birds singing outside and she was replacing one long beep with another.
    Don't think they can have the vent hole on the soft moles, as it's mean two "tubes" very near each other in the mould.

From my experience, the vent hole helps a great deal; bit of air gets in, and also I find it sounds better.

Advertisement