Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous in the water

Options
  • 10-02-2015 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am learning how to swim and have been for a quiet a while now (almost a year). I probably started too late in life - I am over 50! I can lie on my back in water and also attempt front crawl but cannot do the breathing for the life of me. I am gasping after four strokes so stopping and starting all the time. I am still very nervous in the water and panic a lot and my feeling is that this is the main reason why I am not progressing & its holding me back.

I would love to do an intensive weekend course in swimming to mainly help me relax in the water as I still have a fear of the water and feel its holding me back going any further. I'm at this stage since January and don't want to give up but feel like it!

Would welcome any suggestions - preferably Dublin area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Adult swim classes are the way to go: http://www.nationalaquaticcentre.ie/NAC_SwimmingClasses.php

I imagine the vast majority of adults in these classes will be absolute beginners and nervous too.

Don't worry too much about the breathing and the number of strokes - it is quite difficult to put it all together. I was always a confident swimmer (though not a strong one), yet for whatever reason I always did front crawl with my head out of the water. When I started trying to breathe properly, like you I could only do a short burst before finding myself gasping for breath, or swallowing a pile of water. It was a number of weeks before I could do a 25m length of the pool without stopping to breathe.

Practice, practice, practice is what it's all about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Practice, practice, practice is what it's all about :)

In the same boat. Gradually getting there. You need to be in the pool 3 times a week or more. For me it is a slow burner but am making progress. The breathing is very tough. A lot of elements need to come together.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 PCKN

yep in the pool 3 times a week and have had multiple lessons but getting nowhere ...at the giving up mode!! I though maybe intensive weekend might have help particularly with the nerves and fear .....

PCKN wrote: »
    yep in the pool 3 times a week and have had multiple lessons but getting nowhere ...at the giving up mode!! I though maybe intensive weekend might have help particularly with the nerves and fear .....

If you are nervous your breathing and heart rate will be higher. You need to relax. Can you thread the water in the deep end?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Remember to breathe out underwater. One of the main things that makes you gasp is holding your breathe underwater then trying to breathe out and in when, at least that is what I found.

Also try just stand in the pool take breath in, then put face under water (can lean forward or bend knees to lower yourself) and breathe out under the water, repeat this a few times it will help give you more confidence in your breathing when you are swimming.

• Advertisement

The pool is only 1.5 metres and its the highest I have been in - wouldn't attempt to go into a pool where I wouldn't be able to stand!! Haven't learned yet how to tread water..thanks for those tips though - yes I do breathe under water but get all confused when I turn my head to breath & then panic!! I guess I just need to relax & will get there. Also I guess my patience is running out as I didn't think it would take me this long.

Thanks again.

C

I am at it 18 months. Started from zero. Slow progress but getting there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

When I was learning how to do the breathing, if I got short of breath or panicky I'd flip over onto my back and just lie there and take a few breaths then go back to front crawl again. It allowed me relax enough to make progress.

Tigerandahalf; - you have given me hope - I am about 13 months trying! Thanks for all replies..

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mary Horgan

I am learning how to swim and have been for a quiet a while now (almost a year). I probably started too late in life - I am over 50! I can lie on my back in water and also attempt front crawl but cannot do the breathing for the life of me. I am gasping after four strokes so stopping and starting all the time. I am still very nervous in the water and panic a lot and my feeling is that this is the main reason why I am not progressing & its holding me back.

I would love to do an intensive weekend course in swimming to mainly help me relax in the water as I still have a fear of the water and feel its holding me back going any further. I'm at this stage since January and don't want to give up but feel like it!

Would welcome any suggestions - preferably Dublin area.

Thanks
    I'm in my late fifties and have been learning since last July. Like you, my problem is confidence, or lack of in the water. However, I'm slowly improving. I go to the pool twice a week. Recently I learned the side stroke which has really improved my confidence. Age doesn't matter; learning just takes a little longer! If you can, go with a swimmer friend sometimes. Also, I've had some one to one lessons. Recently I met a young girl at the pool - admired her technique, and she informed me that she'd had forty lessons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

It's never too late.
    And once you you learn to swim you can swim for the rest of your life. It's a great sport for all ages.
    I would advise you to invest in some lessons. Adult classes are great, there's a mix of ages & abilities & I see the students gain confidence from the support of their fellow swimmers in the class.
    The strokes are broken down in to manageable parts & it will all fall together with practice.
    Go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 STintin

I still have a fear of the water

Most of the people have this problem, and i used to lie in the group of those people .

Here is the tip i tried ,Get yourself comfortable with pool water,Relax for 5 minute in pool water this will help you build some confidence meanwhile you will get used to pool water and then start your swim lesson ..

Advertisement