Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abscess? ?

Options
  • 09-02-2015 11:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Had a pain in my mouth nearly all day, I have a fairly bad tooth so I presumed it was that, but as the pain is getting worse and now im feeling the pain in my throat aswell just under my jaw bone.My gum is now starting to swell up fairly bad and there's a little lump forming in my neck. The missus reckons it's an abscess and that I have to go to the doctor. I thought this would bea job for the ddentist no? Anything I can do to stop the pain and swelling until I get to town? It could be Thursday before I get to either the doc or dentist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

Sounds like a dental abscess. Get to a Dentist (or a Doctor )as soon as you can. They can treat the infection. They can do this a number of ways , but usually will start with antibiotics. If there is a palpable intraoral swelling they can relieve pressure
    by lancing the swelling or draining the tooth, or even extracting the tooth. A lot of factors will influence what they can do.
    In the meantime take what you would normally take for pain within the manufacturers guidelines, do not overdose.Rinse with warm salty water. Keep an eye on the swelling , if it starts to spread into your neck or causes the floor of your mouth to swell then go to A and E.(rarely happens).Get it looked at ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ms. Lipschitz

ABSCESS ARE WORST THAN CHILDBIRTH AND BROKEN BONES

Unhelpful rant

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I've never had a dentist that was unable to write a prescription for antibiotics

Advertisement