Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

software job adverts

Options
  • 09-02-2015 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

im starting to look for a new job after many years and looking at job adverts the moment? Lots of them i have 'some' of the requirements but fall down on others....
    how strict are companies with these job requirements normally? can you get interviews not having all of the experience they require?.
    been out of the job market for a while so trying to feel things out...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

You can definitely get interviews if you don't tick all the boxes in the job spec. More often than not the requirements have a core set of skills that are needed, followed by some "nice to haves". Once you tick the boxes with the core skills and are willing to learn the skills outside these then you should be okay. Maybe start brushing up on some of the skills you don't already have to show that you're keen to learn and a self-starter.

Good luck with the job hunt!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

In one sense, it could depend on your level of experience and/or your interest in Software and other technologies outside of work. If you're searching for a Java role, as long as you're comfortable with the language, can prove it and show a genuine interest in development, I doubt very much that getting an interview at least would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Itzy wrote: »
    In one sense, it could depend on your level of experience and/or your interest in Software and other technologies outside of work. If you're searching for a Java role, as long as you're comfortable with the language, can prove it and show a genuine interest in development, I doubt very much that getting an interview at least would be an issue.

It is an issue. Unless you have the required education level or the skills they want, you'll never get passed the recruiters or HR to an interview panel to asses that your level of ability might be suitable for their teams.........

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

It is an issue. Unless you have the required education level or the skills they want, you'll never get passed the recruiters or HR to an interview panel to asses that your level of ability might be suitable for their teams.........

That is true to a certain degree particularly in the bigger organisations. But it is important to point out that often some of the "skills" listed in job specs are nice-to-haves even if they are stated as required because it is hard to get people with a perfect skills match-up.
    jobless wrote:
    im starting to look for a new job after many years and looking at job adverts the moment? Lots of them i have 'some' of the requirements but fall down on others....
    how strict are companies with these job requirements normally? can you get interviews not having all of the experience they require?.
    been out of the job market for a while so trying to feel things out...

I think the sanest approach is to just apply for roles that sound like something you could add value to regardless of the education/skills requirements. Though you generally want to tick the main programming language box (or one very similar).

Advertisement