Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB bill proof of address?

Options
  • 09-02-2015 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I moved into a new apartment two weeks ago and I want to apply for a bank account but they want a copy of my esb or gas bill to prove my address. Do I have to wait two months before I can get my esb bill or can I get monthly bills?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

warren631 wrote: »
    I moved into a new apartment two weeks ago and I want to apply for a bank account but they want a copy of my esb or gas bill to prove my address. Do I have to wait two months before I can get my esb bill or can I get monthly bills?

Any correspondence from a utility company addressed to you should do. This could be an acceptance of sevice, connection fee etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Rasmus wrote: »
    Any correspondence from a utility company addressed to you should do. This could be an acceptance of sevice, connection fee etc.

You can also,log in online to Electric Ireland and see your details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Or you can call revenue and ask for a tax credit cert for the year to be spent out to your new address

• Registered Users Posts: 6 warren631

The esb was already connected to the apartment so I haven't got any letters from the esb. The landlord read the meter and I will pay the next bill. Seeing my details online won't help - the bank wants a written bill. I don't want to get revenue involved - they will just send me forms to fill up and it will take months. I think esb only bills every 2-3 months. Can esb send me a partial one month bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

Request a p21 from Revenue with your new address. Or ask the bank if they'd accept a letter from your landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

The esb was already connected to the apartment so I haven't got any letters from the esb. The landlord read the meter and I will pay the next bill. Seeing my details online won't help - the bank wants a written bill. I don't want to get revenue involved - they will just send me forms to fill up and it will take months. I think esb only bills every 2-3 months. Can esb send me a partial one month bill?

Is the account in your name though? The LL would have to transfer it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 warren631

Also - is ESB the same as Electricity Ireland or different companies?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

It doesn't have to be an esb bill, it can be any official type of post.
    Tax documents, tv/broadband, mobile phone contract, credit card bill, social welfare documents, tv licence etc.

Anything that proves you live at that address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Also - is ESB the same as Electricity Ireland or different companies?

ESB was split into 2 as far as I know, ESB owns the networks and electric Ireland was created to take care of the sales aspects.

I remember getting a letter from ESB about the meter and EI sent out the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

the lease should suffice?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

the lease should suffice?

Pretty easy to forge those, they wouldn't be taken in isolation to satisfy AML requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

the bank should accept other proof of address as suggested by others, but if you really want an electricity bill why don't you ask electric Ireland in the talk to forum? they would be able to confirm if they can give you a mid cycle bill. strange that they haven't given you any communication if you have just set up an account. I just set one up recently and I'm all about paper less billing but I still got post from them. if it's staying in your landlord's name technically they shouldn't talk to you about his bill for data protection purposes and also if it is in his name it won't suffice as proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

When I moved into my apartment, it took the electric company a good 10 days to send out their contract and, if you don't pay by direct debit you will have to pay a deposit for which you should get a receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi warren631,

If the Electric Ireland account is in your name, do private message us your account number, name, address and telephone number, and we can look after your proof of address requirement.

If the account is not in your name, we would be unable to carry this out, but if you transfer the account into your name and require assistance in the future, do let us know here on Boards if you like.

Kind regards,
    Una

Advertisement