Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelancing and Jobseekers Allowance

Options
  • 09-02-2015 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some help on freelancing on Jobseekers Allowance.

I'm on Jobseekers Allowance after finishing up an internship with my old company back in December. Since then, they have asked me to do some paid freelance writing for them on some of their projects.

The freelance work isn't going to pay the bills nor is it consistent. It's just coming my way on a case by case basis, if other copywriters are unavailable to do the written work I'm doing. I will be paid via cheque.

What am I supposed to do here? Can I continue to collect Jobseekers Allowance and cash my cheques for the freelance?

What's involved in letting the Social Welfare know about my freelance work and what procedures would I need to go through? I'm very much intent on finding a part-time job as soon as possible so I can sign off the dole and not feel like I'm breaking the law for earning a little bit of cash on the side.

However, if I'm unlucky in the job field (as I have been so far), I was wondering what sort of procedures I would need to go through in order to continue freelancing while also continuing to get Jobseekers Allowance.

Has anyone else been in this situation? If so, I'd really appreciate some advice.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Every time you get a cheque for paid work, go into them and tell them. Then they will tell you what effect it has on your JSA, if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

You need to go into sw and inform them that you are commencing self employment. You means will be reviewed by a sw inspector. You should keep all invoices and payment details so the inspector will be able to assess means from self employment.

• Company Representative Posts: 12 Verified rep INOU: Robbert

Hello Travy1991,

Can you confirm... will you be self-employed or a casual worker i.e. will the company be paying PRSI for you.

If you are self-employed you can engage in self-employment while you are in reciept of Jobseekers Allowance - Jobseekers Allowance and Self employment - Working for Work. - You may be engaged in self-employment and still qualify for a Jobseeker’s Allowance payment – provided your overall income stays below a certain amount. In such instances, the number of days you are engaged in self- employment is not relevant. You could qualify for Jobseeker’s Allowance even if you are engaged in self-employment every day.

However, if you are claming JSA you must continue to Genuinely Seek Work (GSW) and be able to prove you are activley seeking work for the Department of Social Protection, if not your payment could be reduced or suspended! You will also be required to undertake any training, retraining, education or work experience offered. If you fail to take such an offer because of self-employment your payment could be reduced or stopped.

Have you considered self-employment, under the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance as an option? Have a look at the link for information.

If you will be classed as an employee -i.e. the employer is paying PRSI for you as a worker, then you could be classed as a casual worker.

Either way you will need to provide Social Welfare with all the relevant information and documentation for them to make a decision on your claim.

Hope you find this useful.

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Travy1991

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice. I've decided to turn down the freelance work as my main goal right now is to get off the live register.

The freelance work is likely just going to be a one off or something I'll get once in a blue moon. I don't really fancy going through all the paper work of registering as self-employed when there's no promise of long term work.

I am going to do my best to get a job part time first. Once this is achieved, I can then look into building my writing portfolio and earning some extra cash.

Thanks again.

Advertisement