Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp duty question

Options
  • 09-02-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi there, I will be a first time landlord soon. I think I'm up to date with all laws I need to be aware of. I know I'll need to do my taxes each October as a landlord. Do I also need to pay stamp duty? The house was bought for 250,000 EUR in 2008 and is now worth approximately 150,000 EUR. If I do need to pay stamp duty, do I just pay this when I do my taxes in October? Apologies if this is a legal question that shouldn't be asked on Boards, I wasn't sure. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭lau1247

I thought you only pay when you buy/transfer properties which you should already have paid in 2008.

More info here: Stamp Duty

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi there, I will be a first time landlord soon. I think I'm up to date with all laws I need to be aware of. I know I'll need to do my taxes each October as a landlord. Do I also need to pay stamp duty? The house was bought for 250,000 EUR in 2008 and is now worth approximately 150,000 EUR. If I do need to pay stamp duty, do I just pay this when I do my taxes in October? Apologies if this is a legal question that shouldn't be asked on Boards, I wasn't sure. Thanks

You pay stamp duty when you buy the house. You need to pay property tax every year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

There is a guide to rental income in the stickies in the taxation forum

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭beatlesfan3333

Great advice guys thanks. I think I was confused about this. It makes sense that you only pay stamp duty when buying a house or transferring properties, thanks!

Advertisement