Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First aid courses

Options
  • 09-02-2015 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

Hi, looking to see if anyone has recent reviews of any of these courses? Id really like to do one. I'm looking at the St. John ambulance one but the reviews/adverts I can find are like five years old. Anyone done a course recently?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I did a course with heartsafety solutions in Dublin - it focussed mainly on adult and child CPR. Covered the basics of first aid too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

nikpmup wrote: »
    I did a course with heartsafety solutions in Dublin - it focussed mainly on adult and child CPR. Covered the basics of first aid too.

Was it worthwhile would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Was it worthwhile would you say?

Definitely - I got it on a groupon deal, so it was only about €35 for the day. I had done CPR courses before, but I was rusty, and I can confidently say now I remember exactly what to do with a choking infant and one who isn't breathing. I can't say that I wouldn't panic if faced with a situation, but I'm hopeful that because the info is fresh in my mind that I would be able to cope. The guy that runs the course is very good, and will spend time making sure you do it right, and he's equipped with the adult and infant sized CPR dolls. I'm going to keep an eye out for that deal again and repeat the course in a year. One tip, bring some lunch - its in an industrial estate and there's nowhere really to buy a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Hi, looking to see if anyone has recent reviews of any of these courses? Id really like to do one. I'm looking at the St. John ambulance one but the reviews/adverts I can find are like five years old. Anyone done a course recently?

John's Ambulance ones are definitely still running, and from what I have heard are quite good.
    We wanted to get to one before baby was born, but didn't manage to due to clashes in dates etc. And since baby is born we haven't gotten around to re-arranging. I had booked in, but had to cancel because she was sick, so didn't feel right leaving her with somebody while we learn to deal with hypotethical issues instead of looking after her when she needed it :)
    Must book that again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

i done a course recently. it was through "early years first aid" she has a fb page. i found it great. i would highly reccomend it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Suucee wrote: »
    i done a course recently. it was through "early years first aid" she has a fb page. i found it great. i would highly reccomend it.

I've done this one too, it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a short half day course? I'm not able to leave my lo for the whole day yet. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

The Nursey in Monkstown do a 3 hour one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is the one thing I would recommend everyone to do. Hopefully none of us will ever need it but knowing what to do in a crisis is priceless. I do mine through scuba diving club but they are open to the public aswell.
    Which reminds me that I am due to recertify.
    Try asking your employer if they will pay for it. Having a first aider around a workplace is always desirable.

Advertisement