Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland problem help me please!!!!

Options
  • 09-02-2015 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all. I really hope someone out there can help me. I just recently changed from Electric Ireland Prepay to Airtricity because my Electric Ireland costs seemed to be getting higher and higher and with a baby on the way I really needed to change.

Long story short Electric Ireland send me an online bill for 120+ euro they say I owe as part of a corrected reading. Here is the thing. The meter was read before the prepay meter was installed, so after that the meter should account for all the usage right? Well it gets better. I called several times and I pointed out how could I owe from a corrected estimated reading when I am on prepay? So they checked with a supervisor and get this, I apparently requested to change to regular bill pay in December. What the hell? Because I don't remember asking them to do that.

When I changed to Airtricity it was in January so no excuses there, I have all the documentation. I continued using the prepay meter and filling it from December all the way up until we switched over, apparently unknowing that even though we were paying into the meter it was no longer meter rates. I have every reciept of money put into the meter for usage until then. When the technician came to remove the meter, the usage on the meter matched the current reading as the reading on the prepay meter. To top it all when we allowed the meter to go under to -5 euro the electricity cut off and I had to call them to get the meter disconnected to transfer to airtricity metering. So far then I should owe them only 5 euro right? And if the electricity went off doesn't that mean that I was still on prepay metering and not on standard like they say. It makes no sense.

Can anyone give me advice or explain if I need to start looking at legal options because I don't undestand where they pulled that number from at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭clint_silver

HelpMe2015 wrote: »
    Hi all. I really hope someone out there can help me. I just recently changed from Electric Ireland Prepay to Airtricity because my Electric Ireland costs seemed to be getting higher and higher and with a baby on the way I really needed to change.

Long story short Electric Ireland send me an online bill for 120+ euro they say I owe as part of a corrected reading. Here is the thing. The meter was read before the prepay meter was installed, so after that the meter should account for all the usage right? Well it gets better. I called several times and I pointed out how could I owe from a corrected estimated reading when I am on prepay? So they checked with a supervisor and get this, I apparently requested to change to regular bill pay in December. What the hell? Because I don't remember asking them to do that.

When I changed to Airtricity it was in January so no excuses there, I have all the documentation. I continued using the prepay meter and filling it from December all the way up until we switched over, apparently unknowing that even though we were paying into the meter it was no longer meter rates. I have every reciept of money put into the meter for usage until then. When the technician came to remove the meter, the usage on the meter matched the current reading as the reading on the prepay meter. To top it all when we allowed the meter to go under to -5 euro the electricity cut off and I had to call them to get the meter disconnected to transfer to airtricity metering. So far then I should owe them only 5 euro right? And if the electricity went off doesn't that mean that I was still on prepay metering and not on standard like they say. It makes no sense.

Can anyone give me advice or explain if I need to start looking at legal options because I don't undestand where they pulled that number from at all.

Ask them firstly to clarify is that excess reading from pre- or post going pre-pay

Then ask have they a recording of the december request? even if you had, and for some reason dont remember it, I dont see how that would account for 120e of a reading catch up on their part.

you also do know that your bill goes higher through usage only, its not a conspiracy on the part of the providor. theres a direct cost associated with a unit of electricity. If your bills are accurate to your meter it means your usage is going up. break down the per kw cost of electricy from all the providors, theres very little in it. My last estimate in november was over a 207e bill with airtricity, it cost 205e with electric ireland. that includes kw usage/standing charge plus vat. So I didnt see any point in changing from EE.

get one of the airtricity meter voltage readers, they should ship for free, hook it up to the mains in as per instructions, go round the house, write down how much everything costs to find out where you can greatest savings, e.g. 50w halogen spotlights were killing me, I spent 100e last year on LED bulbs from china, knocked 20e off my bills.

leaving microwave light on worked out at jsut under 5e every 2 months (the monitor tells you this). switch it off.

leaving tv on works out at 3e every 2 months.

it all adds up.

get the monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HelpMe2015

Hi thanks for the ideas. Need to ask some extra questions of them. Re usage they claim this reading was taken during December just after I according to them had asked to change to standard meter. This was when we still believed we were on prepay and we weren't informed of any change. Rechecked all my call logs (I never clear them) I have calls to them a week before the supposed date I called to change and none for that day.

You could say I am a paranoid guy because I have been screwed before. When it comes to usage we are very precise. we put a lot of time into following exact usage, power usage of appliances,etc. When the meter was taken out the unit difference from when it was first put in to when it was taken out was exactly the same as our figures. We budget our usage so naturally we are suspicious.

What doesn't make sense especially is the correction of an estimated reading. If the meter is right and the prepay meter is right then i am getting seriously confused. On none of my online bills does it show when this estimated reading took place. Talking to the agent they said there was difficulty taking the reading on report but we have no gates, walls, dogs etc and it seems sloppy if the person sent out to read the bill didn't have their meter key if that is what it was.

The attitude is very frustrating because from our pespective we owe money we shouldnt and called and changed our metering when we didn't. So I am going to try one more time by emailing them with everything I have got. If I don't get some coherent response that makes sense I don't know what to do.

Thanks again for your input though.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi HelpMe2015, I have moved your thread to the Electric Ireland forum where the reps can answer your questions directly. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi HelpMe2015,

We regret to read you were unsatisfied with your customer experience.

Pay As You Go meters need to be read regularly just like standard meters. Once the meter gets installed, you should be charged for your current usage. Anything owed prior to the installation should be applied to the meter to be collected at 25% of your top ups. It's also important to note that if you don't top up for a while, standing charges will still accrue even if your electricity isn't in use. Standing charges apply to all customers even if you are prepay or bill pay and whether the electricity is being used or not.

We would happy to look into your query for you and clarify what period you're being billed for. We'll need your account information to proceed any further. Would you be able to send us a private message with your full name, address, account number and telephone number or date of birth? You'll also need to confirm that you're the account holder.

If there are any other questions you can think of, do let us know.

Regards,
    Aoife

Advertisement