Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for Shutters?

Options
  • 09-02-2015 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I'm looking for plantation style window shutters for my house. Anybody got any tips on a reputable company?
    The 'big boys' seem to be !!!!!!!!!. From what I've gathered they're not cheap, but if the product and service are also premium I'd be tempted.
    Anybody got positive or negative experiences with !!!!!!? Or any other decent Shutter companies out there?
    It's a substantial investment and I don't want to get burned. Any advice welcome.
    Thanks.

ps, I had to remove the company name. Hence the !!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had considered these for my conservatory, but the quotes I got locally for 4 windows was very high. They are expensive.

I checked online and you could save 50% easily, although you run the risk of them not fitting perfectly. But if you do your measuring correctly, I woul dbe inclined to take a punt at online purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Eamon, 3 posts in 5 years and all about getting shutters?
    Could you be this Eamon Jennings? http://www.citylocal.ie/All/members/Eamon-Jennings-6006/

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I have been thinking of making these for a new house we'll be moving into soon. They seem easy to make. The only hard part is actually fitting them. Are they normally all painted? I was hoping to make them from Oak.

I have fitted these professionally. Biggest problem was the waiting time for good quality units, 3 to 6 months on average, with customers phoning every day.
    They are usually painted, but I have seen some in cedar. Oak sounds nice but would it split and fade in full sun behind glass.

2 stroke wrote: »
    I have fitted these professionally. Biggest problem was the waiting time for good quality units, 3 to 6 months on average, with customers phoning every day.
    They are usually painted, but I have seen some in cedar. Oak sounds nice but would it split and fade in full sun behind glass.

So there would be a good demand for them? I've ordered the hardware to make ours, the pins for the louvres and the eye screws to attach the control rod to the louvres. I haven't decided on the frame as I've seen various styles. I'll probably end up using the z shaped one.

• Advertisement

woodturner wrote: »
    So there would be a good demand for them?
    A lot of enquiries, only a few able and willing to part with the cash, and then they can't understand the waiting time. By the time your fitting, they are reminding you that they could have got them a lot cheaper and quicker elsewhere.
    Plantation shutters take quite a hammering from the sun. Cheaper units don't last especially in full sun, unless you like the warped, splintered and faded look.
    Good luck making your own, fitting is not that difficult I would fit up to 10 a day with a helper. Watch out for out of plumb windows, Z frames hide a lot.

2 stroke wrote: »
    A lot of enquiries, only a few able and willing to part with the cash, and then they can't understand the waiting time. By the time your fitting, they are reminding you that they could have got them a lot cheaper and quicker elsewhere.
    Plantation shutters take quite a hammering from the sun. Cheaper units don't last especially in full sun, unless you like the warped, splintered and faded look.
    Good luck making your own, fitting is not that difficult I would fit up to 10 a day with a helper. Watch out for out of plumb windows, Z frames hide a lot.

Cheers. I saw them on Norms New Yankee Workshop and said I just have to make a set. I'll be using poplar.

Advertisement