Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Term Contract Ended, no new contract..yet

Options
  • 09-02-2015 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Would just like to get a couple of opinions on the this situation. Have been employed in a graduate position since June on a fixed term contract for 6 months, contract clearly states it terminates at the end of January. End of jan came and went my manager said oh we must do a review etc seeing as youve been here 6 months.

Review was fine generally bit of a waste of time. However regarding the contract he stated, ' we'll look at getting you a permanent contract in a couple of months' to be honest we moved on and i didnt really get to think properly about it. He did say oh theres couple of things I want to see from you over the next months etc... grand no problem.

But now technically im not covered under any contract, which cant be right. Im also afraid this 'couple of months' will roll on into 4/5/6 months, to be honest hes not someone whose interested in actually managing staff just busy doing his own work, so I cant imagine he'd be pulling me aside in two months going heres your permanent contract.

Im a bit confused about what could be the motivation, is it 'we're not sure about you yet' or we're not sure about the demand for another member of staff so we'll stall on the permanency' or what. To be honest he'd know very little about me because we dont work together at all really. Its a small department of a big multi-national so im sure the HR dept would want things done by the book. Im not inrested in being messed about all signs to date have been we expect you to be here for the long haul, they're really pushing professional qualifications for which they would be very involved with which take 2 years to complete.

Should I just say nothing and the permanent contract will come eventually (which im sure it will) or do i make a bit of a fuss and ask for a contract to cover the inbetween period.

Advertisement