Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question regarding Job Bridge

Options
  • 09-02-2015 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi folk,

Hope someone can help me with this question. I'm due to complete a job bridge term of 9months next week which is for 238€ a week. I also get an extra €100 from my employer so I'm making 388€ no tax etc.

They want to keep me on for another 9month term but under a different company name (the employer/s has 3 different entities. I'll continue getting my 238 and 150€ extra a week but is it possible for the employer to do so or can doing such have an impact on me if caught.

Regards,
    JB

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Dodgy!

The employer shouldn't be doing it at all.

Don't know the ramifications of you getting caught though.

Thinking out loud though you're getting paid but paying no tax while on the social welfare. That doesn't sound good if you're caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Under section 9 of the standard agreement it states out of pocket expenses can be reimbursed however not for normal activities such as travel.

Seems a bit high tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why cant he just offer you a job there?
    Sound employer to effectively give you a €50 payrise too!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

The employer should not be paying you anything at all. (Reasonable, genuine expenses are not payment BTW.)

JobBridge is quite strict re this.

As for staying on with a sister company - not sure this is in YOUR best interest.....

This might be worth considering:

http://www.welfare.ie/en/pressoffice/pages/pr080713.aspx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This sounds extremely dodgy. It may seem like your "employer" is doing you a favour, but in reality what they're doing is scamming you out of a proper job. It might seem nice to have the money in your pocket now, but if it wasn't for cons like this, you wouldn't need jobsbridge in the first place, you'd have a real job earning real money.

And yes, such a thing can have an impact on you if caught. The Revenue doesn't accept any excuses, they demand their money, plus fines on top, and nothing stops them getting it. It's also very possible that you would be in breach of the terms of your welfare and jobsbridge and have to pay that money back too (after the Revenue get whatever they decide you owe them).

And if that doesn't persuade you, look at it another way. If you do go off and get a job, a portion of the tax money you pay will effectively be going straight into the pocket of your "employer", rather than going to the hospital beds, nursing home spaces and special needs assistants that it should be going towards. Is that really where you want your tax money going?

• Advertisement
Advertisement