Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem going numb for extraction

Options
  • 09-02-2015 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Hi there I would be grateful for any advise/reassurance on the following.
    In november last I attended a dentist close to where i live (luckily they were open on a Saturday, my usual dentist was closed) as I had some tooth pain, nothing major just a niggle, but wanted to get it sorted asap.
    She said there was a cracked filling so it needed to be removed and replaced which was fine.
    She injected me and hit my facial nerve, which nearly sent me through the roof, but I insisted she continue and get it over and done with as i was completely numb and thought that would be then end of it.

Over the next few days the pain gradually increased as what i can only describe as mini explosions in my tooth. The pain would take my breath away. Returned to the same dentist 2 weeks later the pain was really random and would be triggered for no reason at all. But she looked at it and said there were no cracks etc and to go back if it returned.

Following one night of absolutely no sleep from pain and practically overdosing on pain relief I went back to my original dentist for his opinion. He said it was an absess under the tooth and following 3 courses of antibiotics we decided the tooth should come out as it is heavily filled and isn't really worth saving.

Went in 2 weeks ago, he gave me 4 injections into the back of my jaw but the tooth wouldn't numb. Took another course of antibiotics as he thought the infection hadn't cleared. Went back Friday gone and got the 4 numbing injections again and when he put pressure on it I could feel a shooting pain up through my tooth.
    He gave up and suggested I go for sedation for extraction. He thought I may be too nervous (obviously since the facial nerve incident) for the anesthetic to take effect.

Now, after all that rant, my question is - is this a common thing to happen? not going numb following all those needles? and even if i am sedated and numbed up what happens if i can still feel it? :(

Has anyone been through anything similar?

Im feeling really nervous about it and any helpful advice is much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

What you discripe OP is called a direct strike. Giving block injections in the lower jaw is a "blind" proceedure you are depoiting local around a nerve trunk. The odd time the dentists aim is too good and the injection is right in top of the nerve, giving you profound numbness and a sudden shock. This can cause some brusing of the area and some altered sensation that usually resolved with time.

Regards no going numb, that can happen also, the anaesthetic is not close to the nerve or the accessory nerves keep sensation going. Usually you can get it numb but after several attempts its best to defer it for a while. Sedation will help with the nerves but you will still need the tooth number properly.

Dont worry too much, things happen but eventually you will get sorted, I am sure your dentist can recommend a oral surgeon that might be able to give you sedation?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

What you discripe OP is called a direct strike. Giving block injections in the lower jaw is a "blind" proceedure you are depoiting local around a nerve trunk. The odd time the dentists aim is too good and the injection is right in top of the nerve, giving you profound numbness and a sudden shock. This can cause some brusing of the area and some altered sensation that usually resolved with time.

Regards no going numb, that can happen also, the anaesthetic is not close to the nerve or the accessory nerves keep sensation going. Usually you can get it numb but after several attempts its best to defer it for a while. Sedation will help with the nerves but you will still need the tooth number properly.

Dont worry too much, things happen but eventually you will get sorted, I am sure your dentist can recommend a oral surgeon that might be able to give you sedation?

Just back from oral surgeon amd he has given me valium for thursday extraction. My fear is that the tooth still wont be numb. He has reassured me he wont do anything until he is sure im numb. Inflamtion of the nerve he said is the most likely cause. If this anesthetic doeant work are there more options open to me? is this common? have you come across this before and if si what was the outcome? thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Op, don't worry you will be very numb. Oral surgeons don't worry that you will be numb, they worry that the numbness won't go away ;)

Advertisement