Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais - moved house, advised Bord Gais but we are being billed for new tenants

Options
  • 09-02-2015 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

We moved in January; contacted Bord Gais and notified them including our meter reading.

Today I got a bill showing a higher meter reading than I expected, plus an extra 24 days standard charge. I called Bord Gais, who informed me the account hasn't been closed off as the new tenants haven't contacted them, and so they've continued to invoice me.

How is it legal or logical to charge an outgoing tenant until the new tenant bothers to set up an account? Surely when you say "I'm moving out" this should be acted upon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Do you have the final bill of when you said you moved out?
    Ring them back and tell them your account is closed off.
    The new account should be for a 'New Occupier' and the onus on the new tenants to get in touch with BG. I think there's usually 14 days of so, and after if not contact is made, BG will shut off supply.

This account should not have your details linked to it.

Really bad show by BG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Usually when you close off a utility account, you also give the name of a new person responsible for the account - in the case of rented property, that would be the landlord.

Unless you give those details, you can still be responsible for the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

We did - we called, gave the meter reading, the landlords address and contact numbers, but a month later they were still charging us.

Apparently they back logged a month in processing account closures - how is that possible?!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭suds1984

I'm having problems with bord gais and moving house as well. I havn't got a closing bill for my old apartment - in fact have just received Decembers bill!!!. When I gave details of new apartment - the old tenants got their closing bill within a few days but nothing for me- no welcome letter or anything to my new apartment- extremely frustrating!!!

Advertisement