Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaving cert irish study plan help

Options
  • 09-02-2015 2:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

so, come the mid term 15 weeks till LC and 9 weeks till oral. Can someone help me as to whether this sounds like the most efficient study plan:

week 1-5: learn off 8 essays: education system, oldpeople, environment, problems with youth, tourism, war and terrorism, health system, goverment
    also learn 2 sraith picuirs a week
    week: 5-9: pure oral work, perfect my oral, write out sample answers, learn them off and practice a full oral twice weekly
    week:9-15: study the main 2 poems and 2 prose, briefly learn off the remainder and learn of 3/4 essays for an triail,gafa, or a thig na tit orm, yet to decide which one im taking up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

I'd recommend that you mix up the different areas instead of working in blocks. If you want to focus on the oral in the weeks beforehand that's fine but I'd mix up the essays, prós & filíocht, also I think it's important to study them more than once and keep coming back to them instead.

I try to do 1 essay, 2/3 oral topics and 1 story or 2 poems every week. It may seem a little excessive but it doesn't take much once you've put in the effort initially to make notes for everything. It's just a matter of revising each area for 20 mins a week, no more than an hour or two altogether. Plus I'll have everything revised every 8 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

Magnate wrote: »
    I'd recommend that you mix up the different areas instead of working in blocks. If you want to focus on the oral in the weeks beforehand that's fine but I'd mix up the essays, prós & filíocht, also I think it's important to study them more than once and keep coming back to them instead.

I try to do 1 essay, 2/3 oral topics and 1 story or 2 poems every week. It may seem a little excessive but it doesn't take much once you've put in the effort initially to make notes for everything. It's just a matter of revising each area for 20 mins a week, no more than an hour or two altogether. Plus I'll have everything revised every 8 weeks or so.

i was thinking however essay stuff learned off could be used in oral also while poems + poetry cannot. + alot of similar phrases so block studying may be better for that reason.

RoRo979 wrote: »
    i was thinking however essay stuff learned off could be used in oral also while poems + poetry cannot. + alot of similar phrases so block studying may be better for that reason.

Yeah never even considered that, so maybe focus on the essays now but don't completely ignore the poetry and stories either. Depending what lengths you go to in order to learn the essays you may not even need to revise them. If you're only learning phrases and keywords you'll want to have a look at them after the orals again but if you're able to memorise them word for word you might not need to.

What I do is break it up into paragraphs and read one paragraph, try and say it aloud, get the first sentence right before moving onto the next, go back to the start of the paragraph if I make a mistake and then when I can recite the paragraph perfectly try writing it down while highlighting all the mistakes and redoing it until I get it perfect. It's a very tedious process and I wouldn't do it if I didn't need the A1 but it means I can just recall entire essays at a moments notice!

Magnate wrote: »
    Yeah never even considered that, so maybe focus on the essays now but don't completely ignore the poetry and stories either. Depending what lengths you go to in order to learn the essays you may not even need to revise them. If you're only learning phrases and keywords you'll want to have a look at them after the orals again but if you're able to memorise them word for word you might not need to.

What I do is break it up into paragraphs and read one paragraph, try and say it aloud, get the first sentence right before moving onto the next, go back to the start of the paragraph if I make a mistake and then when I can recite the paragraph perfectly try writing it down while highlighting all the mistakes and redoing it until I get it perfect. It's a very tedious process and I wouldn't do it if I didn't need the A1 but it means I can just recall entire essays at a moments notice!

seeing as your going for an a1 what essays are you planning on learning if you wouldnt mind?

RoRo979 wrote: »
    seeing as your going for an a1 what essays are you planning on learning if you wouldnt mind?

We haven't covered them all yet but so far I have the problems with youth, the education system, Irish, the future, the media and the environment. I'd like to look at more topical things now like war & terrorism, crime and water charges maybe. The 8 you've chosen are fine, should be pretty well covered I'd say.

• Advertisement

changed essay system, please let me know what you all think.
    1) education system
    2) homelessness
    3) terrorism and war
    4) old people
    5) new technology and media
    6) environment
    7) water charges

Advertisement