Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Challenge 150: Broken

Options
  • 09-02-2015 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I was lucky enough to get the most votes on challenge 149, so I have the pleasure to post challenge #150.

Many things around us break, or are already broken. Sometimes this creates interesting photographic scenarios, so I would like to see some of them captured please.

There is no limit as to what you can photograph, as long as the subject is clearly broken in some way, share or form.

RULES:

- Opening date is at the time of this post.
    - Closing date is Sunday, the 22nd of February at 8pm. At this point I will announce the winner and ask him/her to post the next challenge.
    - Only photos taken in this time period will qualify.
    - Only 1 photo per post, but submit as many posts as you like.
    - Image size must be no longer than 800px on the longest side.
    - The next challenge will be chosen by the person who has the most thanks after the closing date of this challenge.
    - Photo must be taken by you.

This is not a rule, but I would love it if you wrote a short description saying what made you decide to photograph that particular broken subject.

And most importantly, HAVE FUN! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

15858801164_7146dd1b44_c.jpgBroken by Rainemac, on Flickr

So the story behind this is a bit personal so I'm going to keep it as short as possible; I was on a personal journey of sorts and this guy was a saint to help with that journey, recently called a end to the whole thing and I put him away a few weeks ago. Yesterday I was reaching into the press and I knocked him over and beheaded him. Now I could read too much into the symbolism of it if I wanted to but I'm not. I am however going to glue him back together!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭MagicHumanDoll

16308926249_14114ab2e8_c.jpgBroken by adam-mcloughlin, on Flickr

Alright, short story (that doubles as a justification for entering the photo). As some of you probably saw, Stephen's Green lake froze over, and stayed frozen for awhile. Me and a friend of mine went there to get some nice snaps, and in doing so tried to find some loose ice. That was futile, so eventually we *broke* (tie into challenge), the ice and viola, the photo was the best of what we got. Was happy with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

It still works twice a day.

15894378484_2aced38443_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

16344492919_633a06e8f1_c.jpg

Why its "broken": I guess its an interpretation. The building with its windows boarded up, the old dirty brickwork, the hint of grafitti on the house behind, and a single human hurrying down a street at night give me a distopian feeling, unsafe, a city that doesnt function properly anymore, i.e broken. Grainy nature of the image (due to low light, its taken on a camera phone at night after all) add to the effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Nothing better to do today so having another go - Broken: The man and dog in the front are obviously broken, but so is the scene, i.e. The creator of these people is now for some reason dispatching with them in quite a horrible way, particularly for a man made of paper!

N.B - Im not sure i enjoy articulating my views of my own photos! It feels somewhat narcisistic and really, If a photo doesnt get a message across itself and requires a description, its a failed image and i guess i always try ( but often fail) to adhere to this.

16538522382_8a6cc8032d_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

dsc_0190.jpg?w=700&h=&crop=1

Had the opportunity this weekend to go poking around some old ruins. Most of the time these are boarded up, luckily these are located the land of a friends family. Inside one of the ruins had some beautifully broken stained glass. God knows how old this stuff is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Old entrance to a old manor house. I was actually taking photos of my kids on a cross country course when I spotted the broken road!339030.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

339083.jpg

A visit to the Imperial War Museum in London this week. D750, 24-70mm Nikkor lens. The recovery capabilities of this camera are astounding!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

16528083176_4522f70caa_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

16557415781_ba5627d58a_c.jpgBroken fountain by Virtual - MostlyVirtual.COM, on Flickr

I was attracted by the nice textures and symmetry of the 3 windows, but then I noticed the fountain was broken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

First shots with my new mp-e65mm, some broken glass at 5x magnification...

16584656825_fe36e1f356_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

Sorry for the delay guys. I didn't have internet last night to post this.

The winner is Spud83. Congratulations on your photo and please pick the new theme.

Honorable mentions go to rainemac, as he was very close.

Thank you all for participating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Thanks Virtual and hard luck to rainemac it really was close.

I'm very new to this whole thing and this is actually the first time I've put a photo in for something like this or even to invite feedback so I'm delighted it have got such a positive response. I'll post the new challenge once I get to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Congrats spud83! Thanks for the mention! Looking forward to the new challenge!

Advertisement